Staff Profile:Dr Keng Wooi Ng
- Research Staff Representative for the School of Chemistry, Food and Pharmacy
- Areas of Interest:
- Microparticulate drug delivery systems for the skin: My current research focuses on microparticulate drug delivery systems. The project, led by Professor Adrian Williams, aims to better understand the mechanisms by which ultradeformable liposomes enhance transdermal drug delivery.
- Optimisation of in vitro skin models for dermatopharmacokinetic evaluations: I am also interested in improving the dermapharmacokinetic evaluation of topical/transdermal formulations using biologically viable, non-animal skin models, such as excised (ex vivo) human skin from surgical procedures. Biological viability is especially important for drug formulations that require activation in the skin, such as topical co-drugs and pro-drugs, as well as for vaccines which target specific immune cells in the skin. Using ex vivo human skin in these studies is advantageous because the model better reflects human skin physiology than any other in vitro model. My work in this area focuses on maintaining the metabolic and immune function of ex vivo human skin in the laboratory.
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 6.
- Lau, W. M., Ng, K. W., Sakenyte, K. and Charles, M. H. (2012) Distribution of esterase activity in porcine ear skin, and the effects of freezing and heat separation. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 433 (1-2). pp. 10-15. ISSN 0378-5173 doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2012.04.079
- Ng, K. W., Allen, M. L., Desai, A., Macrae, D. and Pathan, N. (2012) Cardioprotective effects of insulin: how intensive insulin therapy may benefit cardiac surgery patients. Circulation, 125. pp. 721-728. ISSN 1524-4539 doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.111.063784
- Pathan, N., Burmester, M., Adamovic, T., Berk, M., Ng, K. W., Betts, H., Macrae, D., Waddell, S., Paul-Clark, M., Nuamah, R., Mein, C., Levin, M., Montana, G. and Mitchell, J. A. (2011) Intestinal injury and endotoxemia in children undergoing surgery for congenital heart disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 184 (11). pp. 1261-1269. ISSN 1535-4970 doi: 10.1164/rccm.201104-0715OC
- Lau, W. M., Ng, K. W., White, A. W. and Heard, C. M. (2011) Therapeutic and cytotoxic effects of the novel antipsoriasis codrug, naproxyl-dithranol, on HaCaT cells. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 8 (6). pp. 2398-2407. ISSN 1543-8392 doi: 10.1021/mp200327k
- Ng, K. W., Marc, P., Sion, C., Alexander, A., Christopher, G., Anthony, M., Christopher, A. and James, B. (2009) Development of an ex vivo human skin model for intradermal vaccination : tissue viability and Langerhans cell behaviour. Vaccine, 27 (43). pp. 5948-5955. ISSN 0264-410X doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2009.07.088
- Khan, A., Benboubetra, M., Sayyed, P. Z., Ng, K. W., Fox, S., Beck, G., Benter, I. F. and Akhtar, S. (2004) Sustained polymeric delivery of gene silencing antisense ODNs, siRNA, DNAzymes and ribozymes: in vitro and in vivo studies. Journal of Drug Targeting, 12 (6). pp. 393-404. ISSN 1061-186X doi: 10.1080/10611860400003858
- MPharm PhD
Member of the Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences