So how much do you think you know about the University of Reading?
Release Date 01 October 2007
The Friends of the University of Reading are providing an opportunity on Sunday 21 October to explore the University of Reading's richly varied premises and extensive grounds.
As the latest in a series of events marking the 80th anniversary of the foundation of the Friends, members of the public are invited to attend a Heritage Trail, which will give access to many of the University's 300+ acres. The itinerary will include such landmarks as the Acacias; the Great Hall, with the chance to hear the organ being played; the walled garden at Bridges Hall; the Senior Common Room; the Old Library; the Friendship Gate; and the University's various museums, both at the Whiteknights and the London Road campuses
The proceeds from this imaginative event will be put towards the purchase of a new boat for the University Boat Club and a new tuba for the University Symphony Orchestra.
Andrew Palmer, Chairman of The Friends, said "We are delighted to offer a programme that enables the wider community to mark our Anniversary with us. We started our celebrations with a Gala Concert in March this year, and plan to end with another in March 2008. This Heritage Trail will be a great opportunity to visit interesting parts of the University that are not usually accessible, and to see items obtained through donations that the Friends have made to the University. We look forward to large numbers of participants, including children, for a fun afternoon."
The Heritage Trail will take place from 2pm until 5pm on Sunday October 21, starting from Park House on the Whiteknights Campus and finishing at the Museum of English Rural Life in Redlands Road for free refreshments. There will also be a Treasure Hunt for younger visitors. Entry is £5 per person (students £2.50, and under 16s free).
For more information or to pre-register (to help the Friends get an idea of numbers for refreshments), please contact 0118 378 8006 or e-mail email@example.com.
More about the Friends:
In 1927, the year in which the University obtained its Royal Charter, it was agreed that an Association, to be called 'The Friends of The University of Reading', should be formed on an entirely voluntary and unofficial basis, with the object of bringing friends and supporters into contact with the University and of enabling them to promote its interests and welfare. The Association came formally into existence on 15 March 1927. Since that day individuals, companies and organisations, including former students and staff, who wish the University well have become members and, through their subscriptions, donations, bequests and support, have been able to help the University - by funding amenities and activities and through their advocacy of the University's interests.
The membership currently stands at around 500 and new members are always welcome. The Association's affairs are managed by a committee comprising representatives from the University and the wider community.