Lessons from Gareth Southgate, and how we're looking to care for our soil: Reading in the News - 19 July
Release Date 19 July 2018
Fertilisers: The Guardian looks at how phosphate fertilisers are being inefficiently used and having a detrimental effect on the wider environment. The article notes work being done by the Soil Security Programme to look at using bacteria in soil to make a difference. The article was reproduced in MFA News.
Atlantic conveyor belt: An article for Carbon Brief looks at the possibility of a ‘slowdown’ in the Atlantic Conveyor Belt which brings warm water from the tropics to Europe. The article based on new research suggests that a slowdown could trigger a two decade period of rapid global surface warming. Dr Jon Robson (Met), who was not involved in the study, is quoted.
Humility in leadership: Professor Bernd Vogel (Henley Business School) is quoted in a Forbes article looking at the value of humility in leadership, pointing to examples including Jesus and Gareth Southgate.
- The Telegraph mention research by Professor Paul Williams (Met) in an article on how climate change may affect air travel.
- Students from the University of Reading have celebrated success at the European Universities Games, winning two gold, three silver and one bronze medal, reports Inside the Games.
- A UoR student was spared a long hospital stay by being involved in a clinical trial to treat a collapsed lung, reports GetReading.
- Professor Gary Stephens (Pharmacy) is quoted in an article for Yahoo News about Novichok.
- Evening Standard report on the best self-service bars in London. The article mentions the self-service beer wall in Park Bar on the UoR Whiteknights campus.
- Article for the Business Magazine and BQ Live note that Reading is becoming one of the most densely populated towns for digital and tech businesses, according to a report by Tech Nation. The articles note the opening of the Gateway Building on the Thames Valley Science Park.
- Recycling Waste World reports on the University of Bristol becoming the ninth University to launch a behavior change programme to reduce recycling, joining the University of Reading as one of the early adopters of a similar scheme.
- Investment in the University of Reading is mentioned in an article for Business Magazine on the economic and business growth of the Thames Valley.
- An article for Bond looking at why languages matter for inclusion is based on ‘Listening Zones’ research co-delivered by UoR academics. Read more about our role here.
- GetReading report on forecasts that the current summery conditions are set to continue, and carries comments by Dr Roger Brugge on the extended period of hot and dry weather.
- Further reports on research into the link between bilingualism and maths performance in the Hindustan Times.
- HR Director reports on the Henley Business School report on side jobs.
Image credit: Кирилл Венедиктов, England national football team in Russia, 2018. Accessed on 19 July 2018 at https://www.soccer.ru/galery/1053441/photo/729756. Licenced under Creative Commons By-SA 3.0.