Using cannabis to treat epilepsy and the summit between North Korea and the US – Reading in the news Tues 12 June
Release Date 12 June 2018
Medicinal cannabis: Dr Mark Dallas (Pharmacy) spoke to ITV News at Ten (story starts at 20m 40s in) about research into cannabis-derived treatments for epilepsy. Dr Dallas provided comments after a mum tried to bring Canadian-bought cannabis oil into the UK to help her son who has severe epilepsy.
North Korea/US Summit: Dr Mark Shanahan (Politics) was interviewed on armed forces TV channel, BFBS, and Russian state TV station, TRT World, on the North Korea/US Summit - Dr Shanahan suggested that this initial meeting wouldn't really achieve a huge amount in terms of agreements but could be the start of a long-term negotiation between the two countries.
- An article for The Wall Street Journal (£) examines absolutist thinking and its relationship with wellbeing, and references Mo Al-Mosaiwi and Prof Tom Johnstone's research on absolutist language and depression.
- Kate Clanchy (English Lit) has been awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours, reports The Reading Chronicle. Read our news story here.
- Dr Rohan Deb Roy (History) is one of 600 scholars who have put their name to a letter to the organisers of the AAS-in-Asia conference and the board of directors of the Association for Asian Studies expressing their anger and dismay at the organising committee's "failures and negligence" in informing participants and others that the government of India had barred Pakistani scholars from attending the conference. The Wire reports.
- Dr Glenn Gibson (Food) comments on a new study into the effectiveness of a multi-strain probiotic supplement on reducing IBS symptoms. The story appears on Nutrition Insight.
- Meteorology student, Omar El-Huni, is a regular contributor to The Arab Weekly on environmental issues. His latest piece is on why water purification technology is needed in Middle East and North African countries.
- Following his interview with Sputnik Radio, Dr Nafis Alam (Henley Business School Malaysia) is featured in an article on the Sputnik website on oil production in Saudi Arabia. The article is reproduced on APSNY News.
- A Drinks Insight Network article on plastics in the drinks industry references the University's refillable bottle scheme.
- A researcher from Nepal and a student from Botswana are to receive an ISC Travel Grant, helping them to acquire high performance computing knowledge and skills. HPC Wire reports that the two will be mentored by Dr. Julian Kunkel (Computer Science) at this year's ISC Conference.