MA2NAN-Numerical Analysis

Module Provider: Mathematics and Statistics
Number of credits: 10 [5 ECTS credits]
Level:5
Terms in which taught: Spring / Summer term module
Pre-requisites:
Non-modular pre-requisites:
Co-requisites: MA2MPR Mathematical Programming
Modules excluded: MA2NA1 Numerical Analysis I
Module version for: 2017/8

Module Convenor: Dr Tristan Pryer

Email: t.pryer@reading.ac.uk

Summary module description:

This module covers some introductory numerical methods in Mathematics.


Aims:

To motivate, describe and analyse methods for solving differential equations and to develop skills in programming numerical methods.


Assessable learning outcomes:

By the end of the module students are expected to be able to:

• formulate methods for solving some initial value problems;

• write computer programs to implement numerical methods.

 


Additional outcomes:

Outline content:

The content of the course is roughly divided into four parts and consists of the following topics:



• Review of basic ODE theory;

• Fundamental numerical methods for ODEs;

• Runge-Kutta methods;

• Linear multistep methods.


Brief description of teaching and learning methods:

Lectures and practicals.


Contact hours:
  Autumn Spring Summer
Lectures 20 2
Practicals classes and workshops 10
Guided independent study 68
       
Total hours by term 98.00 2.00
       
Total hours for module 100.00

Summative Assessment Methods:
Method Percentage
Written exam 60
Set exercise 40

Other information on summative assessment:

The method of assessment for this course is a two-hour exam at the end of the year. This will be worth 60% of the total mark. The other 40% can be gained via assessed coursework formed of analytic and computational work. Every week you will receive a set of questions, a subset of these will be set for the assessment, but you should attempt them all.


Formative assessment methods:

Problem sheets.


Penalties for late submission:
The Module Convenor will apply the following penalties for work submitted late, in accordance with the University policy.

  • where the piece of work is submitted up to one calendar week after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): 10% of the total marks available for the piece of work will be deducted from the mark for each working day (or part thereof) following the deadline up to a total of five working days;
  • where the piece of work is submitted more than five working days after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): a mark of zero will be recorded.

  • The University policy statement on penalties for late submission can be found at: http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/qualitysupport/penaltiesforlatesubmission.pdf
    You are strongly advised to ensure that coursework is submitted by the relevant deadline. You should note that it is advisable to submit work in an unfinished state rather than to fail to submit any work.

    Length of examination:

    2 hours.


    Requirements for a pass:

    A mark of 40% overall.


    Reassessment arrangements:

    One examination paper of 2 hours duration in August/September - the resit module mark will be the higher of the exam mark (100% exam) and the exam mark plus previous coursework marks (60% exam, 40% coursework).


    Additional Costs (specified where applicable):
    1) Required text books:
    2) Specialist equipment or materials:
    3) Specialist clothing, footwear or headgear:
    4) Printing and binding:
    5) Computers and devices with a particular specification:
    6) Travel, accommodation and subsistence:

    Last updated: 9 October 2017

    Things to do now