EC205-Intermediate Econometrics

Module Provider: School of Politics, Economics and International Relations
Number of credits: 20 [10 ECTS credits]
Terms in which taught: Spring term module
Non-modular pre-requisites:
Co-requisites: EC204 Introductory Econometrics
Modules excluded:
Module version for: 2016/7

Module Convenor: Dr Zahra Siddique


Summary module description:
This module extends the use of quantitative methods to investigate relationships between different variables beyond that which is covered in EC204: Introductory Econometrics.

In this module, which assumes familiarity with the multiple regression model, students will go a step further to critically evaluate the multiple regression model as well as examine methods to uncover causal relationships between variables. Readings will include published research papers applying these methods, in such areas as labour and development economics.
Studying this module will give students a good understanding of more advanced econometric methods as well as how current economic research applies these techniques to analyse and develop policy. It will form an excellent basis for Part 3 modules in all areas of applied economics, and be of particular use in empirically based dissertations.

Assessable learning outcomes:
To undertake quantitative problem solving across a range of subjects taught in the Department of Economics.
To construct and evaluate econometric models across a wide range of data types.

Additional outcomes:
Familiarity with the specialist econometric software STATA.

Outline content:
A range of techniques including: panel data methods, instrumental variables and two stage least squares, simultaneous equations models and limited dependent variable models. Research papers in economics using these methods will be part of the readings for the module.

Brief description of teaching and learning methods:
The module offers an advanced range of quantitative techniques used in economics research. Lectures cover the main module material, supported by classes. Students will be required to complete a project (worth 50% of their grade) in which they will review an existing research paper in economics, in which the paper needs to be summarized, the empirical results re-produced and the methods critically evaluated. Support for this project will be provided via one to one meetings and by examples discussed in lectures.

Contact hours:
  Autumn Spring Summer
Lectures 20
Tutorials 5
Guided independent study 175
Total hours by term 200.00
Total hours for module 200.00

Summative Assessment Methods:
Method Percentage
Written assignment including essay 20
Project output other than dissertation 50
Class test administered by School 30

Other information on summative assessment:
There will be two take home assignments worth 20% of the overall mark, one end of term test worth 30% of the overall mark and one project worth 50% of the overall mark.

Formative assessment methods:

Penalties for late submission:
The Module Convenor will apply the following penalties for work submitted late, in accordance with the University policy.

  • where the piece of work is submitted up to one calendar week after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): 10% of the total marks available for the piece of work will be deducted from the mark for each working day (or part thereof) following the deadline up to a total of five working days;
  • where the piece of work is submitted more than five working days after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): a mark of zero will be recorded.

  • The University policy statement on penalties for late submission can be found at:
    You are strongly advised to ensure that coursework is submitted by the relevant deadline. You should note that it is advisable to submit work in an unfinished state rather than to fail to submit any work.

    Length of examination:
    There is no final examination.

    Requirements for a pass:
    A minimum overall mark of 40%.

    Reassessment arrangements:
    Re-assessment for all modules takes place in August/September of the same year.
    Re-assessment will be on the basis of a further project only. This will not be a re-submission of the earlier project, but will require students to review another existing research paper in economics. The re-submission deadline will be 19 August 2016.

    Additional Costs (specified where applicable):
    1) Required text books:
    2) Specialist equipment or materials:
    3) Specialist clothing, footwear or headgear:
    4) Printing and binding: There may be optional costs associated with photocopying or printing sources listed on the reading list relating to this module. Please note that the Library charges approximately 5p per photocopy.

    5) Computers and devices with a particular specification:
    6) Travel, accommodation and subsistence:

    Last updated: 21 December 2016

    Things to do now