CL2RO-Roman History: From Republic to Empire

Module Provider: Classics
Number of credits: 20 [10 ECTS credits]
Terms in which taught: Spring term module
Non-modular pre-requisites:
Modules excluded:
Module version for: 2016/7

Module Convenor: Dr Eve Macdonald


Summary module description:
This Roman history module covers the period from the second triumvirate in the last years of the Republic to the reigns of the emperors.

This module aims to provide students with knowledge of the main historical events and political, social, and economic developments of the Roman world in the period late 1st century BC-2nd century AD. It introduces students to the principles, methods, and applications of ancient history, equipping them to evaluate and use the different kinds of primary source material available.

Assessable learning outcomes:
By the end of the module it is expected that students will be able to:
- Describe and analyse key issues pertaining the history of the period examined;
- Interpret complex evidence and ideas, and construct a coherent argument from them;
- Discuss the most significant literary texts, inscriptions and archaeological evidence for the period, and assess the limitations of the different sources of evidence;
- Utilise and evaluate the most important modern theories and approaches relevant to the study of Roman history.

Additional outcomes:
The module develops oral communication skills and team-working, through discussions and presentations in seminars. It also encourages critical thinking in the assessment of ancient and modern texts and encourages students to work independently. It provides training in key research skills such as the use of web bibliographical and research databases.

Outline content:
This module treats key historical phases of Roman history spanning from the late 1st century BC (the years of the second triumvirate) to the 2nd century AD. Topics examined will include political, social, cultural, and economic history, such as the social structure, the political relationship between emperor and senate, the aims of the building programmes promoted by emperors in the capital and across the empire, the role of the army in the Romanization process. Throughout, the emphasis will be on the historiography of the period and close reading of key primary sources, so that students are encouraged to acquire the skills central to the study of antiquity.

Brief description of teaching and learning methods:
Teaching consists of two one-hour lecture sessions a week and a total of six hours of small group work (seminars). All sessions presume preparatory reading by students.

Contact hours:
  Autumn Spring Summer
Lectures 20
Seminars 6
Guided independent study 174
Total hours by term 200.00
Total hours for module 200.00

Summative Assessment Methods:
Method Percentage
Written exam 50
Written assignment including essay 50

Other information on summative assessment:
Coursework: Students are required to produce one piece of coursework comprising an essay of c.2,000 words (worth 40% of total coursework mark) and an associated source criticism of 1,000 words (10% of total coursework mark), to be submitted by 12 noon on the Thursday of the last week of term. Relative percentage of coursework: 50%.

Formative assessment methods:

Penalties for late submission:
The Module Convenor will apply the following penalties for work submitted late, in accordance with the University policy.

  • where the piece of work is submitted up to one calendar week after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): 10% of the total marks available for the piece of work will be deducted from the mark for each working day (or part thereof) following the deadline up to a total of five working days;
  • where the piece of work is submitted more than five working days after the original deadline (or any formally agreed extension to the deadline): a mark of zero will be recorded.

  • The University policy statement on penalties for late submission can be found at:
    You are strongly advised to ensure that coursework is submitted by the relevant deadline. You should note that it is advisable to submit work in an unfinished state rather than to fail to submit any work.

    Length of examination:
    One two hour paper requiring the completion of two questions.

    Requirements for a pass:
    40% overall

    Reassessment arrangements:
    Re-examination in August.
    Coursework will be resubmitted in August.

    Additional Costs (specified where applicable):
    1) Required text books:
    2) Specialist equipment or materials:
    3) Specialist clothing, footwear or headgear:
    4) Printing and binding:
    5) Computers and devices with a particular specification:
    6) Travel, accommodation and subsistence:

    Last updated: 4 January 2017

    Things to do now