The IWLP Chatterbox Scheme
Improve your communication skills and your socio-cultural competence: apply for free on-line language sessions with coaches from refugee backgrounds.
The IWLP offers its students in Arabic, French, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish, the opportunity to apply for 4 FREE language sessions with Chatterbox.
Chatterbox is the on-line language practice service that employs coaches from a refugee background who come from a variety of professional paths (teachers, engineers, film-makers, lawyers, human rights activists, etc.)
ABOUT THE SCHEME
You will have the opportunity to:
- Practise the language you study in one-to-one online sessions
- Learn from Arabic, French, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish speakers from across the world
- Share professional interests and insights of new countries with those who have lived and worked in them
- Broaden your understanding of the issue of forced displacement and the experience of being a refugee
- Contribute to the social and economic integration of skilled professionals who find themselves unemployed or underemployed
The IWLP Chatterbox scheme will offer you:
- 4 FREE one-to-one on-line sessions in a language of your choice
- A total of 4 one-hour sessions
- Freedom to schedule your sessions between the 2nd November 2020 and the 19th February 2021
- Opportunity to apply for additional hours after these dates (based on availability)
The IWLP Chatterbox scheme will require you to:
Use up 2 of your 4 FREE language sessions before 15th January 2021(to show engagement with the scheme) to keep your full allowance.
- Complete a Chatterbox survey providing feedback on your learner experience
- Participate in a University of Reading focus group and provide feedback on your learning experience
HEAR FROM our students and refugees
Read more about the opportunity in our Chatterbox press release: Refugees offer Reading language students global experience
To be eligible for the IWLP Chatterbox FREE language sessions you need to:
- Be a current IWLP student
- Study Arabic, French, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish at stage 2 or above.
Applications will be received until Friday 1st November, closing at 12 noon.
FREE 4-hours allowances will be offered on a first come first served basis. You will be emailed if you are successful.
Applications will open on 28th September 2020
How to apply to be confirmed.