The Department of Modern Languages and European Studies is based within the School of Literature and Languages at the University of Reading. The department is made up of four distinct areas of study; French Studies, Italian Studies, German Studies, and Spanish Studies. There is more to us than studying a language. Within the department we combine the study of modern languages with history, politics, and culture, giving our undergraduates the opportunity not only to expand their knowledge of a modern language, but also to learn about the country and culture surrounding that language. Our undergraduate courses offer huge flexibility in their combinations, both within the department and in the wider university . Our postgraduate courses too offer opportunities to study across a wide range of disciplines as well as specific areas of interest.
We have a strong research profile, including the following RAE scores in the last exercise:
- Italian – 90% of our research outputs were judged to be of international standard.
- French – 85% of our research outputs were judged to be of international standard.
- German – 65% of our research outputs were judged to be of international standard.
With the Department of Modern Languages and European Studies you will have the opportunity to:
- Study a wide variety of exciting and complementary topics
- Learn from experienced and internationally renowned academic staff
- Learn an additional language from scratch with the Institution Wide Language Propramme
- Enrich your experience by getting involved with academic and social events which complement your degree.
"After not doing as well as I had hoped in my French A level, I was nervous to begin my studies at the University of Reading. However, at Reading I was given the opportunity to refresh my knowledge of the French language from scratch. This, together with my experience on my Year Abroad allowed me to build my confidence and offered alternative ways of understanding various elements of the course. The lessons that take place in Reading are small and intimate which enables tutors to build a rapport with students and give individual support which I found to be invaluable. The support and opportunities offered to me at the MLES department within the University of Reading gave me a platform from which I was able to excel and eventually led to me finishing amongst the top of my year group in my finals and establishing a position on a PGCE course in the future. "
The Department of Modern Languages and European Studies offers courses in five main programmes of study:
Modern Languages and European Studies
Things to do now
- See our undergraduate courses
- See our postgraduate taught courses
- Find out more about joining the department as a postgraduate research student
- Learn more about the department's research
- See the School of Literature and Languages website