Dr Catriona McAllister
- +44 (0) 118 378 8331
I am the Departmental Director of Teaching and Learning.
Areas of Interest
My research focuses on Argentine literature and culture, with a particular emphasis on ideas of nationhood and relationships between history and literature. I am currently working on the representation of historical narratives in Argentine museums and the representation of history in cultural production for children.
I have a monograph forthcoming on rewritings of independence in contemporary Argentine literature, exploring the relationship between history, politics and literature in a corpus of six texts. I have also written on literary representations of the Falklands/Malvinas conflict within Argentina.
I co-teach two first-year modules: SP1I1 (Icons of Spain and Latin America) and SP1SLAC (Introduction to Spanish and Latin American Culture).
I convene and teach a second-year module on Latin America’s history and culture in the 19th century, placed in global context (SP2TT, Transatlantic Exchanges).
I convene and teach a final-year module on dictatorship, memory and cultural production in Latin America’s Southern Cone (SP3MDR).
I also contribute to a departmental module on global fantastic literature (ML2GF) and to Spanish language teaching.
I welcome enquiries concerning research supervision in any of my areas of research interest.
- Jeff Gonzalez (Department of Languages and Cultures): Globalization in the Lukumi Orisha Diaspora
- Begoña Garrido (Department of Languages and Cultures): Were all Basque women ‘La Pasionaria’? Negotiating gendered spaces in working-class Basque women’s testimonies of Bizkaia, under Franco (1937-1949)
- Emma Jackson (Department of Languages and Cultures): The Use of Objects in the Construction, Expression and Negotiation of Identities: A Case Study of Maya Dolls from Mexico and Guatemala (March 2020)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
PhD in Latin American Studies (Cambridge)
MA in Latin American Studies (Salamanca)
BA (Hons) in Modern Languages (Oxford)
Research groups / Centres
- McAllister, C. (2021) Flying the flag: Malvinas and questions of patriotism. In: Mira Delli-Zotti, G. and Pedrosa, F. (eds.) Revisiting the Falklands/Malvinas Question: Transnational and Interdisciplinary Perspectives. ILAS (Institute of Latin American Studies), London, pp. 161-172. ISBN 9781908857569
- Mcallister, C. (2020) Borders inscribed on the body: geopolitics and the everyday in the work of Martín Kohan. Bulletin of Latin American Research, 39 (4). pp. 453-465. ISSN 1470-9856 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/blar.13089
- Mcallister, C. (2016) History and the popular: rewriting national origins at the Argentine Bicentenary. Modern Languages Open, 2016 (April). ISSN 2052-5397 doi: https://doi.org/10.3828/mlo.v0i0.35