Dr Charles Leavitt
- +44 (0) 118 378 8335
Programme Director in Italian Studies; Alumni and Careers Officer; Link Officer with English Literature. I am also co-editor of the peer reviewed journal Italianist Film.
I teach all levels of modern and contemporary Italian literature, cinema, and history, while also offering comparative courses in European modernism and European cinema, as well as contributing to Reading’s Italian language programme.
I am module convenor for:
- ML1COMP: What is Comparative Literature?
- ML1GEC: Greats of European Cinema
- IT205: Italian Cinema
- IT2FI: Fictions of Italy
- ML2SPM: Literature, Language and Media
- IT3ATF: After the Flood – Post-war Italy
I supervise PhD, MPhil, and MRes projects on modern Italian culture and history. I welcome expressions of interest for doctoral research in twentieth-century literature and cinema; literary and film theory; twentieth-century Italian intellectual history; comparative and world literature.
Areas of Interest
I study modern Italian literature and cinema in a comparative context. I am currently completing a monograph on Italian neorealism, but I also continue to pursue research on a wide range of topics, and in particular the intersections between Italian and African-American culture. I serve as co-editor of the journal Italianist Film, and my work continues to appear in publications including Modern Language Notes, Italian Culture, the Journal of Modern Italian Studies, California Italian Studies, Tre Corone, and The Italianist.
Research groups / Centres
- Leavitt, C. (2018) Notes on the end of 'Rome Open City'. Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies. ISSN 20477368 (In Press)
- Leavitt, C. (2018) The forbidden city: Tombolo between American occupation and Italian imagination. In: Bonsaver, G., Carlucci, A. and Reza, M. (eds.) Cultural change through language and narrative: Italy and the USA. Legenda, London. (In Press)
- Leavitt, C. (2018) Probing the limits of Crocean historicism. The Italianist, 37 (3). pp. 387-406. ISSN 1748-619X doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02614340.2017.1409309
- Hennessey, B., Hooper, L. E. and Leavitt IV, C. L. (2018) Realisms and idealisms in Italian culture, 1300-2017. The Italianist, 37 (3). pp. 281-288. ISSN 0261-4340 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02614340.2017.1409308
- Hennessey, B., Hooper, L. E. and Leavitt IV, C. L., eds. (2018) Realisms and idealisms in Italian culture, 1300-2017. The Italianist (special issue), 37 (3). Taylor & Francis. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02614340.2017.1409308
- Leavitt, C. (2018) Repressed memory and traumatic history in Alberto Moravia’s 'The Woman of Rome'. In: Sambuco, P. (ed.) Transmissions of Memory: Echoes, Traumas and Nostalgia in Post-World War II Italian Culture. Fairleigh Dickinson UP, Madison, New Jersey. (In Press)
- Leavitt IV, C. L. (2016) An entirely new land? Italy’s post-war culture and its fascist past. Journal of Modern Italian Studies, 21 (1). pp. 4-18. ISSN 1354-571X doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/1354571X.2016.1112060
- Leavitt IV, C. L. (2016) Bitter Rice (Giuseppe De Santis, 1949). In: The total art: Italian cinema from silent screen to digital image. Bloomsbury. ISBN 9781441174932 (In Press)
- Leavitt IV, C. L. (2016) Il realismo di un nuovissimo medio evo: Boccaccio in the age of neorealism. Tre Corone, III. pp. 135-156. ISSN 2421-0277
- Leavitt, C. (2014) Chronicle of poor lovers / Cronache di poveri amanti (1947). In: Zambenedetti, A. (ed.) World film locations: Florence. Intellect Books, Bristol and Chicago, pp. 26-27. ISBN 9781783203444
- Leavitt, C. (2014) Family diary / Cronaca familiare (1962). In: Zambenedetti, A. (ed.) World film locations: Florence. Intellect Books, Bristol and Chicago, pp. 44-45. ISBN 9781783203444
- Leavitt, C. L. (2013) Cronaca, narrativa, and the unstable foundations of the Institution of Neorealism. Italian Culture, 31 (1). pp. 28-46. ISSN 0161-4622 doi: https://doi.org/10.1179/0161462212Z.00000000014
- Leavitt, C. L. (2013) Impegno nero: Italian intellectuals and the African-American struggle. California Italian Studies, 4 (2). ISSN 2155-7926
- Leavitt IV, C. L. (2013) Recent work on neorealism. The Italianist, 33 (2). pp. 325-335. ISSN 1748-619X doi: https://doi.org/10.1179/0261434013Z.00000000041
- Leavitt, C. (2012) Una seconda fase del realismo del dopoguerra: the innovative realism of Elsa Morante’s 'L’isola di Arturo'. The Italianist, 32 (1). pp. 32-52. ISSN 1748-619X doi: https://doi.org/10.1179/0261434012Z.0000000002
- Leavitt, C. L. (2012) Weltliteratur as Anti-Fascism : philology and politics in Luigi Foscolo Benedetto's 'Letteratura mondiale'. Modern Language Notes, 127 (5). 1171-1205 . ISSN 0026-7910 doi: https://doi.org/10.1353/mln.2012.0125