HOME / COLLECTIONS / OBJECT COLLECTIONS / WAGONS

 
------------------------------------------
Collections Database
------------------------------------------
Object Collections
 
Bibliography of British Rural History
 
The Library
 
Image Library
 
Archives
 
Using the Reading Room
 

Some of the farm wagons and carts from the collection

Dorset wagonDorset wagon
made by Mr A. Loving of Bridport, Dorset c.1910 but much repaired since that date. It was used at New House farm, Broadoak, Dorset. (61/43)
Carrier's WagonCarriers wagon
Said to have been built in 1870. It once had a canvas cover and needed 4 horses to pull it. It came from Cambridgeshire and was owned by Mr. Webb (53/8)
Somerset WagonSomerset Wagon
Built by Mr C. Bailey of Combe St. Nicholas, near Chard in 1894, and used at Lords Leaze Farm, Chard, Somerset. (62/513)
Lincolnshire WagonLincolnshire wagon
Built in 1829 for General John Reeve of the Grenadier Guards who farmed at Leadenham, Lincolnshire (53/567)
Wiltshire WagonWiltshire wagon
Built by Mr Holly, the village wheelwright of Pewsham, c.1840, and used mainly by the Pullen family on their farm at Potterne, Wiltshire. (51/1286)
Shropshire WagonShropshire wagon
built c. 1915 at Bishop's Castle and used at Lydbury, North Shropshire by Mr Meldicott until 1959. (59/219)
Somerset WagonSomerset wagon
Built by Cleverden and Son, wheelwrights of Bedminster, near Bristol, c.1880. Many wagons of this type were used in north Somerset and the vale of Berkely but this one was used by the Cobb family at Hill Ash Farm, Dymock, Gloucesterhire. (57/165)
Boat wagonBoat wagon
Built by Mr Fred Read at the Bucklbury Foundry for Sir William Cooke of Wyld Court, Hampsted Norris, berkshire. No date. (62/29)
Scotch CartScotch cart
Built by Mr T. L. Williamson, wheelwright of St. Neots, Huntingdonshire, and used in the same area. (63/174)
Devon 'ship' WagonDevon 'ship' wagon
Built at Upton near Cullompton, Devon, c.1850, and used by the Pring family who brought it to Easthampstead, Berkshire. (56/304)
Hereford Wagonhereford wagon
From Holmer, Herefordshire. No other information. (62/64)
Timber carriageTimber carriage
used by Hunts, millwrights of Soham, Cambridgeshire, for haulign timber. Thought to date from the mid 19th century. (55/135)
Gloucestershire WagonGloucesterhire wagon
built c. 1880 for Mr Fowler who farmed at Tirley, Gloucesterhire. (55/501)
Berkshire WagonBerkshire wagon
This bow weagon is an imporved version of the straight framed Wiltshire wagon, and was built for George baylis of Wyfield Manor, Boxford, near Newbury, Berkshire. No date. (54/365)
Cornish WagonCornish wagon
Built by Aaron Vosper of North Hill, near Callington, and owned by Mr Henwood of Linkinhorne, Cornwall. No date. (62/530)
Cotsold hoop raved wagonCotswold wagon
From Top Farm, Westington, Chipping Campden, Gloucesterhire. Presented to the Gloucester Folk Museum by Messrs. W. R. Haines & Sons who probably had the wagon built in the 1870s. It came to MERL from Gloucester. (54/678)
Sussex wagonSussex wagon
Narrow wheeled; donated by Ms. Godman, Horsham, Sussex. It was used by her family at Lower Beeding and was made by a local craftsman in the mid 19th century. (54/677)
Dorset wagonSoory, no image available
Acquired from Melbury Abbas, Shaftesbury, Dorset. It was made by Wm. H. Harrington of Birdbush Wagon Works c. 1910. (61/44)
Suffolk Box WagonSuffolk wagon
Probably built in the last quarter of the 19th century. It came originally from Reydon, Suffolk, where it was made. It was used on a farm in Kersey, Hadleigh in the 1930s and it was in use until it was donated to the museum. (56/188)
Hermaphrodite wagonSoory, no image available
Donated by Sir Wm. Cooke of Eling Farm, Hermitage, Berkshire. It was found in Ambrose Yard, Hampstead Norris. Originally it came from Tetford, Lincolnshire, where it was made in 1910 at a cost of 20.
Miller's WagonHertfordshire Millers wagon
Built c. 1880 by Meadcroft of Welwyn for Benjamin Cole of Codicote Mill near Harpenden, Hertfordshire. It was donated to the Museum by his son J. J. Cole. It was used for transporting sacks of grain and flour to and from the mill. The canvas cover for the wagon was made by Pedder of Luton, Bedfordshire, before 1914.
Barge wagonSoory, no image available
From Home farm, Shotover park, Wheatley, Oxfordshire. It was donated by Major Mills whose family used the wagon. It was probably made by Cullum Ltd. of Wheatley c.1900.