You're sure to find unique gifts and souvenirs in MERL’s small but interesting shop, which offers a wide variety of books, handmade crafts and reasonably priced 'pocket money' items, all inspired by the MERL collections.
- Easter shopping!
We have a carefully chosen selection of seasonal products from handmade wooden eggs to knitted lambs!
- MERL Village Fete (31st May) advance tickets now available to buy in the
MERL online store
- Read our latest blog post on Archive inspiration in the MERL shop to find out about some new products inspired by the Huntley & Palmer archives.
- The shop is now open on Mondays from 9am to 5pm. (Please note that the Museum to visitors is closed on Mondays - find our opening times here)
The MERL shop is online! Please have a look at our first selection of gifts we have on offer, we hope to add more in the future.
Click here to visit our online store MERL online store
The MERL guide book
Special offer! Now only £2.50 (was £3.50)
This richly illustrated guide provides a fascinating overview of MERL's varied collections, a brief history of the Museum and an introduction to the University of Reading Special Collections, housed in the same building. Beautifully produced and packed full of information and images, this guide is both an excellent starting point for the new visitor and a perfect souvenir for those who have already enjoyed spending time in the Museum.
- MERL's exclusive range by Suzy T design
Tea towels are now available featuring the exclusive Suzy T's design orignally seen on our canvas bags. Offer: £5 each or 2 for £9
Suzy T specialises in the creation of beautifully designed greetings cards and textiles for the home, such as tea towels and aprons. Suzy has designed scarves, t-shirts and other gift items for organisations such as the British Museum, English Heritage, The Ashmolean and Courtaulds.
Suzy T aims to use the best quality of materials, to produce everything in the UK and be as environmentally-friendly as possible.
Visit the shop to see our complete range...
- Recent additions to our ranges are the beautiful mugs, bowls and other stoneware from Selborne Pottery, all hand-thrown and decorated by Robert Goldsmith in Hampshire. Prices start from just £12.
- The shop also stocks crocheted badges and key rings from Just Trade which are made in Peru and feature delightful animal, vegetable and flower designs.
- A selection of CDs by Hilary James and Simon Mayor, the local artists hosting our folk music series including their wonderful 'Musical Mystery Tour' albums for children, are now available in the shop.
- We carry a wide range of books such as Ben Law's book 'The Woodland Year' and more unusual local history publications such as Suttons Seeds – A History 1806-2006, written and published by the Earley Local History Group.
- There are textiles by Ulster Weavers, honey and beeswax products from R&J Nickless Apiaries in Didcot as well as a small range of pottery from Aston Pottery and some lovely hand turned wooden bowls and plates, made by David Glover, one of our own volunteers!
- We have a range of handmade cards and there is also a selection of reasonably priced Royal Academy cards from Canns Down Press. We now also stock a range of beautiful cards from Museums and Galleries Marketing Ltd.
- Younger visitors will find a selection of wooden toys as well cut out houses to make and chocolate animals to buy - to mention but a few things.
University of Reading staff and students can now use Campus Cards to make payments in our gift shop!