You're sure to find unique gifts and souvenirs in MERL’s small but interesting shop, which offers a wide variety of books, handmade crafts and reasonably priced 'pocket money' items, all inspired by the MERL collections.
- January 2015 - New Year Sale now on!
All Christmas cards and gift tags have been reduced by 20%, as have the last few pieces of Aston Pottery. The jugs are now £14, and large mugs just £12. The MERL 2015 calendar of Tractors Through the Years has now been reduced to £2, and all of the fudge bars are 50p!
For the next few days, you can still see our 'Art in Redlands' Winterval Window, as featured in getreading
- December news - #merlshopisopen for a special Christmas shopping event!
Join us on Tuesday 16th December, from 10am to 6pm for a Christmas shopping event.
Enjoy 10% off our wonderful ranges of cards and gifts, as well as a free mince pie and a cup of tea (or squash).
NEW Be the first to buy the latest editions to our range of products featuring Suzy T’s exclusive MERL design.
We'll also be unveiling a special winter window display as part of the 'Art in Redlands' community project. Our display, on the theme of the legend of King Alfred and the burnt cakes, will be created by local artists and feature artwork made at Toddler Time!
- November news - #merlshopisopen (Follow us on Twitter @MERLReading)
The MERL shop is open even though the galleries and garden are closed, so on the run-up to Christmas, why not pop in to see our carefully selected cards and gifts? We have a return of some old favourites as well as brand new stock! In response to requests from our visitors, the knitted Christmas sheep have donned their sparkly coats again to decorate your festive tree, and they're joined by some jolly robins!
If you’re looking for a beautiful book to give as a special present then the range of titles from Little Toller might fit the bill. Their books are very reasonably priced (ranging from £10 - £25) and full of beautiful illustrations by well know artists such as John Nash, Robert Gibbings and Clare Leighton to name but a few. We have a special offer on our jams and chutneys – 2 for £6.70 plus a free gift box, and back by popular demand is the “Tractors through the years” calendar – full of wonderful tractor images and a snip at £3! Don’t forget our range of pocket money toys for children which make ideal stocking fillers.
- Beautiful mugs, bowls and other stoneware from Selborne Pottery, all hand-thrown and decorated by Robert Goldsmith in Hampshire. Prices start from just £12.
- Crocheted badges and key rings from Just Trade which are made in Peru and feature delightful animal, vegetable and flower designs.
- A selection of CDs by Hilary James and Simon Mayor, the local artists hosting our folk music series including their wonderful 'Musical Mystery Tour' albums for children, are now available in the shop.
- We carry a wide range of books including local history publications such as Suttons Seeds – A History 1806-2006, written and published by the Earley Local History Group.
- Honey and beeswax products from R&J Nickless Apiaries in Didcot as well as a small range of pottery from Aston Pottery and some lovely hand turned wooden bowls and plates, made by David Glover, one of our own volunteers!
- A range of handmade cards and a selection of reasonably priced Royal Academy cards from Canns Down Press.
- A selection of wooden toys, cut-out houses to make and chocolate animals to buy - to mention but a few things!
The MERL shop is online! Please have a look at our first selection of gifts we have on offer, we hope to add more in the future.
Click here to visit our online store MERL online store
The MERL guide book
Special offer! Now only £2.50 (was £3.50)
This richly illustrated guide provides a fascinating overview of MERL's varied collections, a brief history of the Museum and an introduction to the University of Reading Special Collections, housed in the same building. Beautifully produced and packed full of information and images, this guide is both an excellent starting point for the new visitor and a perfect souvenir for those who have already enjoyed spending time in the Museum.
MERL's exclusive range by Suzy T design
Tea towels and canvas bags are available featuring the exclusive Suzy T's design
Suzy T specialises in the creation of beautifully designed greetings cards and textiles for the home, such as tea towels and aprons. Suzy has designed scarves, t-shirts and other gift items for organisations such as the British Museum, English Heritage, The Ashmolean and Courtaulds.
Suzy T aims to use the best quality of materials, to produce everything in the UK and be as environmentally-friendly as possible.
Visit the shop to see our complete range...
University of Reading staff and students can now use Campus Cards to make payments in our gift shop!