How to find us
The Museum of English Rural Life is located on the University's London Road Campus at:
University of Reading
Directions to the London Road Campus
Download the London Road edition of 'Travel Wise' which includes details of how to reach the London Road Campus, and the Museum, on foot and by bike, bus and car:
Arriving by car:
Sat nav users, please use the postcode RG1 5EX
Detailed driving instructions from:
- The north (Caversham, Sonning Common)
- The east (Woodley, Twyford, Sonning, M4 Jct 10 via A329M)
- The south (Spencers Wood, Whitley, Lower Earley, M4 Jct 11)
- The west (Tilehurst, Calcot, Southcote, Coley, M4 Jct 12)
The car park at the front of the Museum can usually accommodate visitor cars as required, particularly at weekends, although it does fill up when there is a special event or meeting being held at the Museum. You can call in advance to check if there is likely to be a problem on the day of your visit. Additional parking is available on Acacia Rd adjacent to the Museum but visitors will need to collect a University parking permit from reception. As we are so close to the hospital, free on street parking outside the Museum on Redlands Road is very limited and is restricted to 2 hours.
Download our map of MERL (PDF - 259KB), showing the museum's location in relation to the University and the town.
You can also view detailed maps of the University.
Arriving by train
The closest station is Reading.
The Museum is a 15 to 20 minute walk from Reading station. For a map showing the walking route , download Travel Wise: How to Find the London Road Campus
Services 20, 20a and 21
- These services run every 20 minutes.
- Get off at the second stop on Kendrick Road, "Crown Place Passage". Walk down the footpath to the left of Abbey School. At the end of the path the Museum is on your right hand side.
Services 9 and 144
- The number 9 runs every twenty minutes. The 144 is hourly.
- The bus stops in Craven Road next to the Hospital. Walk down to London Road and left past the Royal Berkshire Hospital. Turn left in to Redlands Road and the Museum is located a short way up on the right hand side immediately past Acacias Road.
NB. The Royal Berkshire Hospital - Madejski Stadium Park and Ride ceased to operate in November 2008