The Course Collection (CC) holds copies of essential materials required for modules taught at the University. Most are available for loan for six hours during the day and overnight from 16:00, some are for reference only.
University staff and students can ask for items to be transferred into the Collection when they are in heavy demand. We also transfer items into the Collection if they have multiple holds.
- Where is the Course Collection?
- When is it open?
- Finding items held in the Course Collection
- How many Course Collection items can I borrow?
- How long can I borrow them for?
- Can I renew them?
- Can I book Course Collection items?
- Photocopies of reading list items
- Can't get hold of books on your reading list?
The Course Collection is located on the Ground Floor.
The collection is open during all normal Library opening hours.
- Check the Enterprise catalogue to find out if an item is available in the Library.
- A list of copies will be displayed when you view the Details of the title you need. If a copy is in the Course Collection it will display with the location "Course Collection on the Ground Floor".
- Take a note of the Call Number from the catalogue.
- You can collect the item from the shelves. If the book isn't on the shelf, check for recently returned items on the trolleys next to the Self-Service Points in the Collection.
You may borrow two Course Collection items at a time.
All items taken from the Course Collection must be issued, even if you only want to read them in the Library. You can issue and return items at the Self-Service Points in the Collection. There is study space and photocopying facilities within the Course Collection if you do not wish to borrow.
Six hours during the day.
After 16:00 you may borrow them until 10:00 the following day.
After 16:00 on Friday and during Saturday and Sunday you may borrow items until 10:00 Monday.
Some popular titles are for use in the Course Collection only. These are identified by both green and red bands on the spine.
- You can renew CC items during the day at the Library as long as nobody else has booked them.
- However, you may not renew them by telephone or using the self-service options on Enterprise.
- If you borrow a CC book overnight you may not renew it the following morning, or on a Monday morning if you have had it for the weekend.
Fines accumulate at the rate of 80p per book per hour (or part of an hour) and continue to build during the hours that the Library is closed. You will not be able to borrow until all overdue items are returned and all fines paid.
You can book up to two Course Collection items for the 10:00, 16:00, and weekend loan (16:00 on Friday) slots. Booked Course Collection items can be collected from the Ground Floor Information Desk.
The Course Collection holds photocopies of articles/chapters which are recommended on reading lists by teaching staff. These items are identified on Enterprise by the Call Number prefix: PHOTOCOPY followed by a number beginning with X (eg PHOTOCOPY--X1234) and the location "Course Collection on the Ground Floor".
Although it is not Library practice to purchase texts for every student, we recommend that your tutors arrange the following:
- at least one copy is purchased for the Course Collection (6-hour loan) of course textbooks your tutor recommends you buy yourself
- purchase of about one copy per 10 students of 'essential' reading (one or more of which might be made 6-hour or 7-day loan)
If the books that you need always seem to be on loan, you can ask for them to be transferred to the Course Collection for the rest of the term. Please ask at the Ground Floor Information Desk. We also transfer items into the Collection if they have multiple holds.
Alternatively contact your subject liaison librarian with details of the book you need and they will arrange for a copy to be put in the Course Collection and can authorise purchase of extra copies or an e-book.