This guide gives you an overview of some of the major sources of statistics. If statistics are particularly relevant to your subject area, your liaison librarian will have written a guide to statistical sources in your subject - go to Subject help to find this information.
The Library holds the major British government statistical series. Some of these series are now also available online on the National Statistics website.
Grid square agricultural census data for England, Scotland and Wales
- Annual abstract of statistics
- Economic trends
- Labour market trends (1996-)
- Population trends
- Regional trends
- Social trends
- Census of population
Data from the 1971, 1981, 1991 and 2001 censuses is available as part of the Census Datasets
The Eurostat website is a useful index to and source of European statistical information. Some of the information free, but some will need to be ordered.
- Eurostat yearbook
Current ed. 4th Floor Reference--314
Earlier eds. Periodical Folio--314
- Portrait of the regions
- Regions: statistical yearbook
The Economic and Social Data Service covers many subjects including general household survey and the labour force survey in ESDS government, and OECD main economic indicators in ESDS international. Use to find: key economic and social data, both quantitative and qualitative
- Europa world year book
Latest ed. Ground Floor Reference--060
- Europa year books for different areas:-
Eastern Europe & CIS, Western Europe, Africa South of the Sahara, The Middle East and North Africa, Far East & Australasia, USA & Canada, South America, Central America, and the Caribbean
4th Floor Reference 914-918
- FAO Statistical yearbook (UN)
- The FAO website also includes statistics.
- The FAOSTAT database covers areas including: production, trade, food balance sheets, fertilizer and pesticides, land use and irrigation, forest products, fishery products, population, agricultural machinery, and food aid shipments.
- OECD economic surveys (by country)
- Statistical abstract of the United States
Also available online
- Statistical yearbook (UN)
- World economic factbook
Latest ed. at 4th Floor Reference--310
Older eds. at Periodical Folio--310
Zanran is a search engine for data and statistics that focuses primarily on finding data presented in numerical or tabular form.