Newspapers can be a good source for the latest developments in a field and for current opinion on controversial topics.
Finding online newspaper articles on a topic
The Summon discovery service includes online newspaper articles covered by our many of our subscriptions. Search for a topic and then use the Refine options on the left of the screen to limit your results to 'Newspaper article'. You can also Refine by publication year to see the most recent articles, or to find out how that topic was portrayed in earlier times.
Search online newspapers
All of the major British newspapers are available online, although these may not be the exact equivalent of the printed version. Here are a selection of newspaper sources covered by our subscriptions.
- 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection - archives
- 19th Century UK Periodicals - archives
- British Library Newspapers - archives of 19th Century newspapers
- British Newspapers 1600-1950 - archives
- Financial Times - current issues and archives
- Gale NewsVault - search across all the newspaper archives provided by Gale
- The Guardian and The Observer - current issues and archives
- International Herald Tribune Historical Archive, 1887-2013 - archives
- LexisLibrary - current issues and archives of many UK national and local newspapers. Click on the 'News' tab at the top of the welcome screen to search individual titles or multiple ones.
- ProQuest News & Newspapers - current issues and archives
- The Telegraph Historical Archive, 1855-2000 - archives
- The Times & The Sunday Times - current issues and archives
Look for other online newspapers
These sites offer links to online newspapers and news media.
- The Big Project News Links
- Google news archive - archive of digitised newspapers including foreign language and regional titles (19th century onwards, although not all issues are available)
- Directory of worldwide newspapers - a directory of newspapers from around the world
For additional advice on finding newspaper articles contact your subject liaison librarian.