Teach yourself how to use the Library more effectively during your studies at Reading using our self-paced Blackboard course, LibLearn. It is accessible to all users with a Reading University username and password. There are three tutorials in the course and there are quizzes in each one so that you can test yourself on what you have learnt.
Tutorial one: 'Introduction to the Library'
New to the Library? Then this one is for you! It covers:
- general information about the Library
- finding your way around
- how to use Enterprise, the Library catalogue
- how to get help
Tutorial two: 'Next steps'
Know the basics of finding books in the Library? Then this tutorial can take you to the next level and help you develop the information searching skills you'll need for later in your course. It covers:
- how to search for journals
- how to find material on a subject using Enterprise and Summon
- finding information on the Internet
- evaluating the information you find
- the principles of copyright and referencing
Tutorial three: 'Searching databases for your project/dissertation'
Are you about to start your project or dissertation? Then this tutorial will help you further develop your searching skills, to search databases for information, particularly journal articles on a topic. It covers:
- selecting and accessing databases
- creating search strategies
- searching databases effectively
Accessing the LibLearn course
- Go to Blackboard Learn
- Log on by following the instructions on the Blackboard login page
- Click on the Enrolments link at the top of the screen
- Scroll down the screen to the Course Search box; type in LibLearn and click on Go
- Click on the 'arrows' (Options menu) next to the Course ID.
- Click on the enrol button.
- Click on the submit button on the Self Enrolment screen and OK at the bottom of the next screen
You will now be taken to the course pages. Next time you log on to Blackboard the course will be listed in your Courses in the Enrolments tab.