Online dictionaries & encyclopedias
Use these sources to find authoritative definitions and summaries – a useful starting point for seminar presentations and projects. They are a reliable alternative to Wikipedia!
General works and collections
These resources allow you to search for definitions and summaries in all subjects.
- Britannica Online - search across the full 32 volumes of Encyclopædia Britannica
- Credo Reference - search across multiple works in all subjects
- Oxford Reference - search across multiple works in all subjects
- Summon - search our discovery service to find definitions from many of our online dictionaries and encyclopedias
See also our list of Quick reference sources.
Some More specific sources
This is a selection of reference works and collections we have purchased for specific subjects. To find other individual titles search the Enterprise catalogue.
- BCIS Online - building cost data
- BCIS Running Costs Online - building running cost data
- Brill's New Jacoby - fragments of ancient text
- Brill's New Pauly - encyclopedia of the ancient world
- British Pharmacopoeia
- Chicago Manual of Style Online
- Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - covers arts and humanities
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences 2nd ed.
- International Historical Statistics Online
- HighlyCited - a gateway to the most influential scientists and scholars
- Hoover's Company Profiles
- IBISWorld - industry market research
- MedicinesComplete - subscription ceased 26th February 2016
- OED (Oxford English Dictionary) - Oxford English dictionary
- Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International - chemical analysis
- Orlando - English literature
- Oxford Art Online
- Oxford Bibliographies
- Oxford Dictionaries - bilingual French, German, Italian and Spanish dictionaries
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Oxford Music Online
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Sketch Engine - corpus query system
- Who's Who & Who Was Who