Online dictionaries, encyclopedias and other reference sources
Use these sources to find authoritative definitions and summaries – a useful starting point for seminar presentations and projects. They are a reliable alternative to Wikipedia!
General works and collections
These resources allow you to search for definitions and summaries in all subjects.
- Britannica Online - search across the full 32 volumes of Encyclopædia Britannica
- Credo Reference - search across multiple works in all subjects
- Oxford Reference - search across multiple works in all subjects
See also our list of Quick reference sources.
Some general reference and subject-related works or collections
This is a selection of reference works and collections we have purchased. To find other individual titles search the Enterprise catalogue.
- BCIS Online - building cost data
- BCIS Running Costs Online - building running cost data
- Brill's New Jacoby - fragments of ancient text
- Brill's New Pauly - encyclopedia of the ancient world
- British Pharmacopoeia
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - covers arts and humanities
- Catholic Encyclopedia
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences
- International Historical Statistics Online
- ISIHighlyCited - a gateway to the most influential scientists and scholars
- MedicinesComplete - up-to-date drug information
- OED - Oxford English dictionary
- Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International - chemical analysis
- Oxford Art Online
- Oxford Bibliographies
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Oxford Language Dictionaries Online - French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Oxford Music Online
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Sketch Engine - corpus query system
- Who's Who & Who Was Who