Open Access is the free and unrestricted online access to publications: to read, download and re-use, subject to proper attribution. The focus here is on journal articles.
The University is committed to publishing the results of its research in the highest quality journals, and strongly believes that its research outputs should be made as widely available as possible. See the Open Access Policy (PDF).
Process for University of Reading researchers
- Deposit in CentAUR the author’s own final accepted manuscript (journal articles) as soon as accepted for publication.
This is the version accepted by the publisher; it includes corrections after peer review but it has not yet been copyedited or typeset by the publisher. (Green Open Access).
- Comply with the HEFCE Open Access Policy for the REF and with funder mandates (see below).
- Publish articles via the Gold Open Access route if appropriate to do so e.g. author’s choice or funder requirement (see below).
See also paying for Open Access publishing.
HEFCE: Policy for Open Access in the REF
Journal articles, and conference proceedings with an ISSN, must be made Open Access in a repository within 3 months of acceptance for publication in order to be eligible for submission to the REF. The University introduced this policy from 1st October 2014: the final versions of articles and conference proceedings must be deposited in CentAUR as soon as accepted for publication.
Funder requirements for Open Access
Open Access requirements for research funded by:
- RCUK - includes form to request Open Access funding
- European Commission
- Other funders - including Wellcome Trust and Cancer Research UK
For advice about Open Access please Contact us.
Find out more
- Book onto our Open Access course or one-to-one surgery
- Presentation on Open Access policies for Reading researchers (PDF)