This page has information and links to other Library, University and general webpages that you may find useful during your time at Reading.
New to Reading?
- Check out our Information for new Library users to help you get started with using the Library
- Watch our Welcome video to help you find your way around when you come to the Library for the first time
Resources in the Library
The Library has a comprehensive collection of printed dictionaries for all languages taught at the University. These are located on the 3rd Floor of the Library. Additionally, we have many Online dictionaries, encyclopedias and other reference sources which you can use on-campus or off-campus.
Foreign language material
Some foreign language material is available in the Library eg books and films. Use the results limits on the Enterprise catalogue, or the advanced search, to select the language you want.
Books on studying in the UK
We have some books on studying in the UK. To find these search the Enterprise catalogue for "study skills international students"
Improving your English language skills
The Library has a large collection of English and American novels; films on DVD and video; textbooks for learning English; and a 'pronunciation gadget' available via the online reference resource, Credo Reference. Ask at the 3rd Floor Information Desk for more details.
Separate from the Library, the International Study and Language Institute (ISLI) has its own collection of language learning materials available to students in the Self-Access Centre for Language Learning (SACLL), located in the HumSS building.
Library words explained
To find out the meaning of some of the words we use in the Library, take a look at our Jargon buster.
Each subject has a liaison librarian who can help you with any subject related enquiries.
Study Advice Team
Based in the Library, the Study Advice Team offer help and training on adjusting to Higher Education in the UK.
Staff on our information desks can help with general enquiries. Don't be afraid to come and ask for help! There are Information Desks on the Ground, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Floor of the Library.
- Finding information - this section includes links to Guides and information on Workshops being run by the Library.
- Contacts & support - includes information on contacting us wherever you are.
- International Student Advice - includes links to information on Reading, study methods, English support, and other support offered by the University