Major and local libraries
- British Library
- British Newspaper Library
- Bodleian Library
- National Archives
- Reading Libraries
- University of London Library
Full details on how to use the British Library's collections are given on our British Library page
British Newspaper Library
The British Library, Newspaper Library, Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HE
- British Newspaper Library website
- Tel: (020) 7412 7353 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- British Newspaper Library admission procedures
Bodleian Library, Broad Street, Oxford OX1 3BG
Undergraduates are normally admitted only during Oxford University vacations under the SCONUL Vacation Access Scheme. Staff and Research Postgraduates can be admitted with a SCONUL Access card. Those studying or employed at institutions funded by the UK higher education funding councils are admitted without charge.
- Take evidence of your affiliation and status with University of Reading which includes the end date of your current course or employment. If your evidence shows all of these together with your identity, as a member of University of Reading you will not need additional recommendation.
- The admission procedure takes about 15 minutes, but you are advised to allow at least 30 minutes.
- You must apply in person.
- Cards are valid for a limited period (maximum four years).
The National Archives
Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU
Any adult can visit the National Archives to consult copies of documents and microfilm resources. If you wish to consult original documents you need to register for a readers’ ticket.
Take proof of identity - one of the following:
- UK Driver's licence
- a passport
- a credit or bank card
Take proof of address - one of the following:
- utility bill (issued within the last three months)
- bank/building society statement (issued within the last three months)
- credit card statement (issued within the last three months)
- council tax bill
For more information and to pre-register your details go to National Archives registration information .
Reading Central Library, Abbey Square, Reading, RG1 3BQ
- Tel: (0118) 901 5950
- Reading Libraries web site
Open to everyone. Small charge for borrowing cassettes, CDs, videos and DVDs.
- Go to any one of the Borough libraries.
- You will need two forms of identity, one as proof of your permanent home address, the other as proof of your identity.
- If you are a student who only lives in Reading during term you should take proof of your Reading address. If you are living in a University hall of residence, the Warden can stamp and sign your membership form as proof.
- Joining Reading Libraries
University of London Library
Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU
As a member of University of Reading you can pay an either an annual, 6 month fee, or daily fee to borrow from the University of London Library.
Undergraduates and taught postgraduates are also charged for reference only access.
Research postgraduates and staff with a valid Band A SCONUL Access card can have free limited borrowing rights.
Take photographic proof of identity:
- driving licence
- college ID eg your Student Campus Card
Take proof of address (such as a utility bill, bank or credit card statement). Research Postgraduates and staff should also take their SCONUL Access card.
University of London membership information - gives more detail on charges and joining requirements.