Dr Reuven (Ruvi) Ziegler
- +44 (0) 118 378 7518
Associate Professor in International Refugee Law
- Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes (2018-)
- Postgraduate Exam and Dissertations Officer (2012-2015)
- Programme director, LLMs in International Law, Human Rights and Advanced Legal Studies (2016-)
- LLB: Public Law II (administrative law and civil liberties)
- LLM: International Human Rights Law
- LLM: International Humanitarian Law
- LLM: International Refugee Law (module convener)
- LLM: Israel/Palestine: International Law and Human Rights Issues (module convener)
Areas of Interest
- Human Rights Law
- Citizenship & Electoral Rights
- International Refugee Law
- International Humanitarian Law
Research groups / Centres
- Ziegler, R. (R.), (2018) Report on political participation of mobile EU citizens: United Kingdom. GLOBALCIT; Political Participation Reports; 2018/14. Report. European University Institute, Firenze, Italy. pp31.
- Ziegler, R., (2017) Citizens' rights inquiry: written evidence (BCR0010). Report. House of Lords EU (Justice) Sub-Committee: Brexit
- Ziegler, R. (2017) Voting rights of refugees. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp288. ISBN 9781107159310
- Ziegler, R. (2016) UK citizens as former EU citizens: predicament and remedies. In: de Witte, F. and Baubock, R. (eds.) Freedom of movement under attack: is it worth defending as the core of EU citizenship? European University Institute.
- Ziegler, R. (2015) The ‘Brexit’ referendum: we need to talk about the (General Election) franchise. UK Constitutional Law Blog.
- Ziegler, R. (2015) Voting eligibility: Strasbourg's timidity. In: Ziegler, K. S., Wicks, E. and Hodson, L. (eds.) The UK and European Human Rights: a strained relationship? Modern Studies in European Law. Hart Publishing, Oxford, pp. 165-191. ISBN 9781849467957
- Ziegler, R. (2015) In the land of hidden legislative aims: HCJ 8665/14 (detention of asylum-seekers in Israel- round 3). Cardoza Law Viewpoints.
- Ziegler, R. (2015) Out of country voting: the predicament of the recognised refugee. In: Gauci, J.-P., Giuffré, M. and Tsourdi, E. (eds.) Exploring the boundaries of refugee law: current protection challenges. International Refugee Law Series (3). Brill, Leiden, pp. 306-330. ISBN 9789004265578
- Ziegler, R. and Berman, Y. (2015) The union of securitisation and demography: immigration detention in Israel. In: Nethery, A. and Silverman, S. J. (eds.) Immigration Detention: The Migration of a Policy and its Human Impact. Routledge, pp. 154-162. ISBN 9781138807563
- Ziegler, R. (2015) No asylum for “Infiltrators”: the legal predicament of Eritrean and Sudanese nationals in Israel. Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law, 29 (2). pp. 172-191. ISSN 1746-7632
- Ziegler, R. (2014) Second Strike and you are (finally) out? The Quashing of the Prevention of Infiltration Law (Amendment no. 4). European Society of International Law Migration & Refugee Law Interest Group Blog.
- Ziegler, R. (2014) Independence Referendums and citizenship ab initio - A rejoinder. In: Ziegler, R., Shaw, J. and Baubock, R. (eds.) Independence Referendums: Who Should Vote and Who Should be Offered Citizenship? European Union Democracy Observatory on Citizenship, 2014 (90). European University Institute - Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Italy, pp. 59-79.
- Ziegler, R., Shaw, J. and Baubock, R., eds. (2014) Independence referendums: who should vote and who should be offered citizenship? European Union Democracy Observatory on Citizenship. 2014/90. Working Paper. European University Institute - Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Italy. pp79. ISSN 1028-3625
- Ziegler, R. (2014) Kick-off contribution. In: Ziegler, R., Shaw, J. and Baubock, R. (eds.) Independence Referendums: Who Should Vote and Who Should be Offered Citizenship? European Union Democracy Observatory on Citizenship, 2014 (90). European University Institute - Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Italy, pp. 1-4.
- Ziegler, R. (2014) Non-Refoulement between 'Common Article 1' and 'Common Article 3'. In: Cantor, D. J. and Durieux, J.-F. (eds.) Refuge from inhumanity? War refugees and international humanitarian law. International Refugee Law Series (2). Brill, Leiden, pp. 386-408. ISBN 9789004261587
- Ziegler, R. (2013) The prevention of infiltration (amendment no. 4) bill: a malevolent response to the Israeli Supreme Court judgment. European Society of International Law Migration & Refugee Law Interest Group Blog.
- Ziegler, R. (2013) Protecting recognized Geneva Convention refugees outside their states of asylum. International Journal of Refugee Law, 25 (2). pp. 235-264. ISSN 0953-8186 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/ijrl/eet019
- Ziegler, R. (R.) and Otzari, S. (2012) Do soldiers' lives matter? A view from proportionality. Israel Law Review, 45 (1). pp. 53-69. ISSN 2047-9336 doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021223711000045
- Ziegler, R. (R.) (2011) Legal outlier, again? U.S. felon suffrage: comparative and international human rights perspectives. Boston University International Law Journal, 29 (2). pp. 197-266.
- 'The French Headscarves Ban: Intolerance or Necessity?' (2006) 40(1) John Marshall Law Review 235-266
- 'End-of-Life and the Good Society' (2001) 2 European Journal of Comparative Law 287-304 (with Sylviane Colombo)
- 'Recognising a Legal Right to Palliative Care: an Imperative for Today' in Shai Lavi (ed), Law, Society and Culture: Technologies of Justice (Ramot, 2004) 111-010 (with Sylviane Colombo) (in Hebrew)
- 'Disowning Citizens' in Return of Banishment: Do the New Denationalisation Policies Weaken Citizenship (EUI, 2014)
- 'Second Strike and you are (finally) out? The Quashing of the Prevention of Infiltration Law (Amendment no. 4)', European Society of International Law Migration & Refugee Law Interest Group Blog (29 September 2014) (abridged version, Oxford Human Rights Hub Blog)
- 'Where have all the expatriates gone', Oxford Human Rights Hub Blog (11 March 2014)
- 'The worrisome casual approach to (dis)enfranchisement', Oxford Human Rights Hub Blog (24 February 2014)
- 'The Prevention of Infiltration (Amendment no. 4) Bill: A malevolent response to the Israeli Supreme Court judgment', European Society of International Law Migration & Refugee Law Interest Group Blog (4 December 2013) (abridged version, Oxford Human Rights Hub Blog) (Hebrew version)
- 'The Missing Right to Vote: the UK Supreme Court's Judgment in Chester and McGeoch', UK Constitutional Law Blog (21 October 2013)
- 'Quashing Legislation Mandating Lengthy Detention of Asylum-Seekers: A Resolute Yet Cautious Israeli Supreme Court Judgment', European Society of International Law Migration & Refugee Law Interest Group Blog (22 September 2013) (abridged version, Oxford Human Rights Hub Blog) (cross-posted, Israel Democracy Institute)
- 'Voting Rights of Expatriates in the European Court of Human Rights', Opinio Juris (10 July 2013)
- 'George Galloway's Walkout and Discrimination on the Basis of Nationality', OHRH Blog (27 February 2013)
- 'Trapped between the Fences', Oxford Human Rights Hub Blog (6 September 2012) (Hebrew version)
- 'Scoppola v. Italy (no. 3): A Step Backwards', Oxford Human Rights Hub Blog (17 August 2012)
- 'The Case for letting prisoners vote,' UK Human Rights Blog (24 May 2012)
Short articles (Israel Democracy Institute)
- 'The Prevention of Infiltration Act in the Supreme Court: Round Two' (30 March 2014) (Hebrew version)
- 'Prohibition on Remittances sent by Asylum Seekers' (12 May 2013) (in Hebrew)
- 'Asylum Seekers in Israel: A Snapshot' (26 December 2012) (Hebrew version)
- 'Separate schools in Eilat for Children of Asylum Seekers' (9 August 2012) (in Hebrew)
- 'Cessation of Temporary Protection Status of South Sudanese Nationals in Israel and their Prospective Expulsion: Two Legal Difficulties' (19 April 2012) (in Hebrew)
- 'The Family (Non)unification Supreme Court judgment' (28 January 2012) (in Hebrew)
- 'The New Amendment to the 'Prevention of Infiltration' Act: Labelling Asylum Seekers as Criminals' (16 January 2012) (Hebrew version)
- 'The link between the Supreme Court, South Sudan's independence, and Asylum Seekers in Israel' (8 August 2011) (in Hebrew)
- 'Limits for Controlling Israel's Southern Border: Refoulement of Prospective Asylum Seekers' (3 May 2011) (in Hebrew)
- 'A Matter of Definition: On 'Infiltrators' and 'Asylum Seekers' in Israel' (26 January 2011) (Hebrew version)
- 'The 'Immigration Policy for Israel' Bill: Appraising the Arrangements Concerning Asylum Seekers and Refugees' (in Hebrew) (18 January 2011)
Oxford Pro Bono Publico
- Submission to the Iraq Inquiry:' International Law Aspects of the UK Position Concerning the Legality of the 2003 Invasion' (July 2010)
Case-notes and book reviews
- 'R (on the application of E) (Respondent) v Governing Body of JFS and the Admissions Appeal Panel of JFS (Appellants) and others  UKSC 15' (2010) 6(1) He'arat Din (Hebrew) (cited by the Israeli Supreme Court in HCJ 7426/08 Tabeka v Minister of Education and others (Meltzer J at ))
- 'HCJ 7015/02 Ajuri et al v IDF Commander' (2002) 36 Israel Law Review 179-195
- 'Conditionally Just?' (2009) 3 Public Sphere 177-183 (review of Chaim Gans, A Just Zionism (OUP, 2008) (Hebrew)
- 'The HCJ and the 1951 Convention: Flirting with the Presumption of Interpretive Compatibility' presented at an international conference entitled Constitutional Conflicts and the Role of Constitutional Courts, Cardozo Law School, New York, 17-18 May 2015 (participants included the current president of the Israeli Supreme Court, Her Honour Myriam Naor, and the former president, his Honour Asher Grunis participated in the conference)
- The Right to Vote as a Human Right: Historical and Contemporary Challenges and the Jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights, Guest seminar, Robert Schuman Centre, EUI, Florence, 21 May 2015
- 'Constitutional Review of Immigration Legislation in Israel: Between Law and Policy', Guest seminar, University of Sienna, Sienna, 22 May 2015
- A Political Voice in a (Hostile) Polity: Conceptualising the Case of Asylum Seekers in Israel, presented as part of a Migration Working Group workshop on 'Migrants as Objects and Subjects of Democratic Politics', EUI, Florence, 26 May 2015
- Guest seminar, No Asylum for Infiltrators: The Legal Predicament of Eritrean and Sudanese Nationals, Oppenheimer Chair in Public International Law, McGill University, Montreal, 2 June 2015
- A Political Voice in a (Hostile) Polity: Conceptualising the Case of Asylum Seekers in Israel, Association of Israel Studies Annual Conference, Concordia University, Montreal, 3 June 2015
Research themes, impact, and other activities:
Dr Ruvi Ziegler talks to From Israel To ISIS: How A Search For A Safe Haven Took A Wrong Turn and puts the spotlight on a case where Israel's treatment of Eritrean asylum seekers has indirectly lead to tragic consequences (5 May 2015).
Recent Conferences/Seminars/Colloquia/Public Lectures:
- "Regulating 'irregular' migration" International Conference National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 20 March 2015
- Public Debate on 'This House Believes that the Right to Free Speech Always Includes the Right to Offend'
- Invited paper speech, Oxford Union Society Oxford, 5 March 2015
- 'The West Bank Barrier: Myths, Realities, and Legal Principles'
- Invited guest lecture, Law Society and JSOC, University College London, 24 February 2015
- 'Cessation of Refugee Status and the Political Predicament of the Refugee'
- Invited guest seminar, Refugee Studies Centre, University of Oxford, 10 February 2015
- 'Judicial Review of military actions by the Israeli Supreme Court'
- Invited guest seminar, Middle East and North Africa Research Group, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London, 22 January 2015
'Independence Referendums and Putative Citizenship'
- Public International Law Discussion Group, University of Oxford, 6 November 2014
- European Institute Seminar, University of Sussex, 30 October 2014
- Constitutional Studies Forum Lunchtime Seminars, University of Oxford, 10 June 2014
- 'Citizenship and the Franchise' Workshop, European University Institute, 25 April 2014
- Public Law Discussion Group, Law Faculty, University of Oxford, 14 March 2014
- Israel Law and Society Association Annual Conference, Ramat Gan, 18-19 December 2013
'Infiltrators' or Asylum Seekers: The Mishandling of Eritrean and Sudanese Nationals and the Security-Demography Nexus'
- From Israel To ISIS: How A Search For A Safe Haven Took A Wrong Turn, NPR/USA, 5 May 2015
- 'Access to Asylum' International Conference, Monash University Prato Centre, 29-30 May 2014
- Seminars in Israel Studies, School of Interdisciplinary Area Studies, University of Oxford, 4 November 2013
- Refugee and Migration Law Discussion Group, University of Oxford, 21 October 2013
- Research Seminar Series, School of Law, Warwick University, 2 October 2013
- Carr Center for Human Rights Policy, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, 11 April 2013
'Regulating the Democratic Process: Strasbourg's Timidity'
- 'The UK and European Human Rights Law: A Strained Relationship?' conference, Leicester, 23-24 May 2014
'Voting Rights of Recognised Geneva Convention Refugees in Elections of their Countries of Asylum'
- 5th International Refugee Law Series, Refugee Law Initiative, University of London, Institute for Advanced Legal Study, London, 22 January 2015
- International Law Forum, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 16 December 2014
- Migration Working Group, RSCAS, European University Institute, Florence, 23 April 2014
- Seminar Series, Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Reading, 6 March 2013
- Inaugural Conference, Refugee Law Initiative DA, University of London, 5 December 2012
- Mid-term Conference, European Sociological Association, University of Milan, 30 November 2012
- Public International Law Research Seminar, All Souls College, University of Oxford, 24 October 2012
- Society of Legal Scholars 102nd Annual Conference, Cambridge University, 8 September 2011
'Disenfranchisement of Convicted Adult Citizenship: Comparative and International Law Perspectives'
- International Law Association Lunchtime Seminar, Boston University School of Law, 8 April 2013
- Public Law and Human Rights Workshop, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2 January 2012
- Society of Legal Scholars 102nd Annual Conference, Cambridge University, 7 September 2011
- Guest lecture, Law & the Political Process Course, Harvard Law School, 5 January 2011
- Human Rights Forum, Faculty of Law, Cambridge University, 10 June 2009
'Protecting Recognised Geneva Convention Refugees outside their States of Asylum'
- Faculty Seminar, Shaare Mishpat Law School, Hod Hasharon, Israel, 18 December 2012
- 'Agents of Changes' Conference, Cambridge University, 20 May 2012
- Migration Law Discussion Group, University of Oxford, 30 January 2012
'Non-refoulement: Between 'Common Article 1' and 'Common Article 3' '
- ALM"A International Humanitarian Law Forum, IDC Herzlyia, 16 December 2013
- Public International Law Lunchtime Seminars, University of Bonn, 2 September 2013
- International Studies Association 54th Annual Conference, San Francisco, 3-6 April 2013
- 'Refuge from Inhumanity' Conference, Refugee Studies Centre, University of Oxford, 11-12 February 2013
''Military Objective' in Non-International Armed Conflicts: Incorporating Post-Conflict Considerations'
- Military Objectives and Objects of War Minerva/ICRC International Conference, Jerusalem, 24-25 November 2013 (joint paper with Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne) (video- session 3)
'Do Soldiers' Lives Matter? A View from Proportionality'
- Jurisprudence Discussion Group, University of Oxford, 26 January 2011
- 'Proportionality in Armed Conflicts' Minerva/ICRC International Conference, Jerusalem, 21-23 November 2010
- Visiting Researchers and Visiting Scholars Colloquium, Harvard Law School, 3 November 2010
'The West Bank Barrier: Myths, Realities & Legal Principles'
- Invited lecture, Clifford Chance Lunch & Learn, London, 31 January 2012
- British Friends of Hebrew University, Alumni Public Lecture, Bournemouth, 10 February 2011
- 'Israel/Palestine: Legal Issues' Course, Harvard Law School, Cambridge (USA), 9 November 2010
- British Friends of Hebrew University, Alumni Public Lecture, London, 25 May 2010
'The JFS case: Permissibility of Ethnic/Religious Criteria in admission to (Jewish) Faith Schools'
- Invited Seminar, Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, 3 February 2011
- Public Lecture, Human Rights Program, Harvard Law School, 2 December 2010
- Public Lecture, Jewish Studies Program, Trinity College Hartford, 25 October 2010
Public panels and roundtables:
- Chair and moderator, 'Challenging the discrimination of Arab citizens of Israel in education and the workplace', (participants: Dr Amir Paz-Fuchs (University of Sussex), Mr. Dan Squires (Matrix Chambers), Amon Be'eri Sulitzeanu & Dr Thabet Abu Rass (The Abraham Fund Initiative's Co Executive Directors)), Goodenough College, London, 2 February 2015.
- Chair and moderator, 'Israel and the left: time for a rethink?' (participants: Professor Robert Fine, Emeritus Professor of Sociology, Warwick University; Professor Alan Johnson, BICOM; Dr David Hirsh, Lecturer in Sociology, Goldsmiths College, University of London), University of Oxford, 4 February 2015.
- Participant, 'Am I Charlie?', Panel Discussion and Debate (other participants: Professor Susan Breau (Law), Dr Brian Feltham (Politics), Dr Christina Hellmich (Politics)) Wednesday 21 January 2015, University of Reading. Podcast: https://avcontent.reading.ac.uk/av/14/GLARPodcast6-te1xE9p84Lph3yRD-128Kbit_44kHz_stereo.mp3.
- Chair and moderator, 'The Law in These Parts' film screening and panel discussion, University of Reading, 27 February 2014 (participants: Professor Susan Breau, Dr. James Green and Dr. Christina Hellmich).
- Chair and moderator, panels at the 32nd Limmud conference, Warwick University, 23-26 December 2013: Should the Jewish diaspora have a political role in Israel's future? panel (participants: Hannah Weisfeld, Lisa Grant, Shira Pruce); A 'Jewish-democratic' state: A reality, an aspiration, or an illusion? panel (participants: Avner Gvaryahu, Talia Sasson, Yisrael Medad).
- Participant, 'The Law in These Parts' film screening and Panel discussion, Wolfson College, University of Oxford, 26 June 2013 (other participants: Dr. Amir Paz-Fuchs, CSLS, University of Oxford; Dr. Catriona Drew, SOAS)
- Participant, legal and social aspects of the refugee situation in Israel and Israeli society's reaction, response and treatment of the refugee community (Chair: Adam Ognall, Chief Executive, New Israel Fund UK; other participants: Jean-Marc Liling, Nic Schlagman, Tammi Molad-Hayo) (downloadable podcast - the panel starts 16 minutes after the beginning of the podcast).
- Participant, roundtable on Israeli immigration policies (with emphasis on asylum seekers), Israel Democracy Institute 24 December 2012 (other participants include Parliamentarians, researchers, academics, government lawyers, and NGO representatives) (you tube) (in Hebrew).
- DPhil MPhil BCL (University of Oxford)
- LLM with specialisation in public law (Hebrew University)
- LLB, BA (Economics) (University of Haifa)
Dr. Reuven (Ruvi) Ziegler is Associate Professor in International Refugee Law at the University of Reading, School of Law, where he is the Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes. Ruvi is an Associate Academic Fellow of the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple; Co-convenor of the Migration and Asylum Section of the Society of Legal Scholars; Senior Research Associate and Editor-in-Chief of the Refugee Law Initiative (Institute for Advance Legal Study, University of London) Working Paper Series; Research Associate of the Refuge Studies Centre, Oxford; and a Researcher at the Israel Democracy Institute, analysing the treatment of asylum seekers in Israel as part of the Democratic Principles project. Ruvi's public engagements include serving as Chair of New Europeans UK; Britain in Europe academic expert; Chair of Oxford European Association; and advisory council member of Rene Cassin. Previously, Ruvi was a visiting researcher at Harvard Law School's Immigration and Refugee Clinic and with the Human Rights Program; a Tutor in Public International Law at Oxford.
Read about Ruvi's journey from law student to social reformer.
- Senior Research Associate, Refugee Law Initiative, University of London
- Editor-in-Chief, Working Papers Series, Refugee Law Initiative, University of London
- Chair, New Europeans UK (2018-)
- Chair, Oxford European Association (2017-)
- Academic Fellow, Honourable Society of the Inner Temple (2015-)
- Section Co-Convenor, Migration & Asylum, Society of Legal Scholars (UK) (2018-)
- Section Convenor, Civil Liberties & Human Rights, Society of Legal Scholars (UK) (2015-2018)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy (2015-)
- Research Associate, Refugee Studies Centre
- Researcher, Israel Democracy Institute
- Blog contributor, Oxford Human Rights Hub
- Blog contributor, Hatraklin
New items about Ruvi
- Ruvi Ziegler on the Turkey-Greece border refugee crisis
- Ruvi Ziegler speaks on Channel Africa’s ‘African dialogue’ (SABC radio)
- “My Father Was A Wandering European” – Triple Loyalties in Brexit Britain: British, Jewish, European?
- Dr. Ruvi Ziegler in Peru and Ecuador
- Ruvi Ziegler at the 10th constitutional court review conference in Johannesburg