Visas and travel to Reading

Visas and entry to the UK

If you're from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and hold a passport from an EEA country or Switzerland, you will not need a visa to study in the UK.

If you're from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland or you do not hold a passport from an EEA country or Switzerland, you are able to visit the UK on a student visitor visa and you will need to apply for entry clearance as a Student Visitor before you come to the UK. The University of Reading provides you with a student visitor visa letter to use in your visa application.

If you are a non-visa national from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you may not be required to apply for a student visitor visa from your home country but you will need to request permission to enter as a student visitor when you arrive at a UK port.

If you are unsure if you will need a visa you can use the UK Government website to check

You can find out more about student visitor visas on the UK Government website here

If you need help with your application we have an immigration advice team who will be happy to help. They can be contacted via

You can also access our list of Frequently Asked Questions at FAQS for answers to general immigration queries.


EEA and Swiss nationals will need a European Health Insurance Card to access National Health Service treatments such as hospitals and doctors. Please ensure that you bring your Health Insurance Card with you when you attend the International Summer School.

If you're from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland you may not be entitled to free healthcare and you should check with your Embassy or High Commission to see if there is a health agreement between your country and the UK. If there is not an agreement you may instead take out medical insurance for the duration of your stay.

Getting to ReadingISS-towncentre

From Heathrow, the RailAir coach in the Central Bus Station is located between Terminals 1, 2 and 3. At Terminal 5, RailAir coaches leave from stop 9 at the Bus & Coach station, outside the Terminal. From Terminal 4, you will need to get on the free shuttle bus to the Central Bus Station. See for details.

You can purchase tickets on line before you travel, just visit Your ticket will then be sent to you by email to print off and bring with you.

From Gatwick, trains run to Reading every hour and take about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Further information on travel from other regional Airports can be found at:

Information about getting around Reading can be found here:

Please book to arrive the day before your course starts as courses start promptly on the first day.

Things to do now

Contact us


Page navigation

See also


Search Form

A-Z lists