Internal, open access

Visa nationals at the University of Reading

A 'visa national' is any individual who has needed entry/immigration clearance (i.e. a visa) before they have been able to enter the UK no matter what their reason for travel.

The University of Reading welcomes visa nationals and recognises the valuable contribution they make to the life and diversity of the University. Currently 3% of the University's workforce requires immigration clearance to work and the University has around 1,600 visa national students studying with us across a diverse range of courses.

The UK has a points-based immigration system which operates via a series of five 'Tier Licences' allowing employers, Universities and others to sponsor visa nationals to work or study in the UK. A visa national cannot enter the UK to work or study unless they are sponsored to do so by a Home Office, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) registered sponsor. The University is a registered sponsor for the following licences:

  • Tier 2 (General) - allows the University to sponsor visa nationals to work at the University;
  • Tier 4 (General) Sponsor status - allows the University to sponsor visa nationals (for their post-16 education) who want to study at the University.
  • Tier 5 - allows the University to sponsor specific groups of sponsored researchers.

This series of pages provides further information and useful contacts relating to the mechanisms in place that allow the University to sponsor visa nationals and to support and advise them both before they come to Reading and while they are with us.

Contact us

Information on international students or urgent UKVI compliance queries:

Katie Robertson

For queries relating to UKVI compliance:

For queries relating to European students and staff:

Reading International Office

  • Telephone:
    +44 (0)118 378 6982 

Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists