Internal, open access

Supporting current visa national students

Across the University there is a range of support services that are tailored to help current visa national and other overseas students and to advise staff that may have queries in relation to the students they support and teach.

International Student Adviser (taught students) and Student helpdesk in Carrington

The University's Senior International Student Adviser, Matt Daley, is based in the Carrington Building, Student helpdesk and can advise all taught students. In addition the help-desk can produce bank letters and help with police registration for applicable visa national students.

International student webpages

These are an invaluable source of up-to-date information for students. The International student webpages cover a wide range of topics with downloadable guides and further links covering:

  • Arriving and living in the UK (includes accommodation, dealing with culture shock, and international students with children;
  • Tier 4 Student Visas (includes useful tips on protecting your Tier 4 visa, accessing immigration advice and information on Curtailment of Leave letters);
  • Support and Advice (includes links to the Chaplaincy, international students at Reading University Facebook group, Newcomers Club and the University of Reading Medical Practice)
  • Studying in the UK (includes in-sessional English language support and assessment by examination in the UK);
  • Getting Involved (includes RUSU sports clubs, societies and volunteering, the Sports Park and the Red Award).
  • The University also has an international student Twitter feed which relays regular Tweets of relevance to visa national and other overseas students and an international student Facebook Group.

Postgraduate research students

The Graduate School aims to provide support to this community, to complement the support and expertise provided by home Schools and Departments and other University services. The Graduate School webpages cover a wide a range of information and resources relating to postgraduate research studies.

For all matters concerning enrolment, registration status and student visa renewal, please contact the Doctoral Research Office within the Graduate School:

Immigration Advice

The University's Immigration Advice Service can offer free and confidential immigration advice and services.  They can advise on a range of topics including visa requirements, visa extensions, advice on working hours and curtailment letters.  See the  Immigration Advice Service webpages for further details on visa advice drop-in sessions, booking appointments and to see the full range of services available.

Work Placements as Part of Study

Visa national students can undertake work placements that are an assessed part of their course.  The Work Placement handbook for staff, produced by Careers has more detailed information about work placements and visa national students.  A copy can be accessed at the Managing Placements webpages. (Please note: this is a staff only link.)

Contact us

For all information on visa nationals or urgent UKVI compliance queries:

Katie Robertson

International Student Adviser:

Matt Daley

For all Graduate School matters:

Doctoral Research Office

Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists