Welcome to the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme
UROP placements provide exciting opportunities for undergraduates to work with staff on research projects across the University, contributing directly to the creation of knowledge and strengthening the link between teaching and research. Placements last six weeks over the summer break, or can be part-time over a longer period. The scheme is only open to University of Reading students in their middle years of study (ie not first or final year students).
As a student, a UROP placement makes a significant contribution to your transferable skills, employability and understanding of the research environment. UROP placements and training can be used towards the RED award. Further information on the lements of the UROP programme can be found on the For Students page, link on the left.
As a member of staff, UROP can help you investigate a new area of research with a student's input and fresh perspective.
UROP is managed by the Careers, Placement and Experience Centre.
Key Dates for UROP 2014:
UROP projects for summer 2014 are now closed. There will be a call for proposals from staff in October.
There will be some EPSRC funded summer research bursaries in Chemistry, SSE and Construction Management and Engineering which will be advertised in schools and departments.
Summer internship opportunities, which may involve an element of research, are available (closing date May 15th). For further information see www.reading.ac.uk/careers/RIS/
University based internships
- Research Intern -, School of Agriculture, Policy and Development
- Community Engagement Intern: Whitley Big Local Project - School of Archaeology Geography and Environmental Science
- Summer Intern - Safety e-learning developer - Health & Safety Services
- Interim (Python Web App developer) - Assimila Ltd
- Estates Management Intern - Estates Management
- Robot Open Online Course Development Intern - Systems Engineering
- Service Catalogue Project Intern - - IT Services
Internships based in and around Reading
- Global Citizenship Education project Intern - Reading International Solidarity Centre
- Community Event Management and Promotion Intern - RVA Amersham Road
- Community Association Brand Development Intern - RVA Amersham Road
- Green Spaces Intern - RVA Amersham Road
- Curatorial intern - Henley River and Rowing Museum
- Exhibitions and Archives Intern - OpenHand OpenSpace
- Music Festival Event co-producer Intern - South Street Arts Centre