Welcome to the University of Reading. We hope that you enjoy your time here. Below you will find links to information and groups that we thought would be of interest to you.
The following links will provide you with information and contacts who might help you feel more at home in Reading:
- Financial support and budgeting advice
- Cultural Awareness
- Culture shock
- University Jargonbuster - use this jargonbuster to help you decode unfamiliar words used at the University.
- Student Stories
- Student accommodation and RUSU Housing Advice
- Creating Confidence (PDF - 1.05MB) - a British Council Guide on keeping safe whilst in the UK.
- International Students with Children (PDF - 123KB)
- Host UK
- Reading International Office
- International Focus
- Small World Cafe - a series of events to make friends across cultures.
Immigration Advice and Tier 4 Student Visas
The following links will provide you with information and contacts who can help you on immigration and visa related questions:
- Immigration Advice Service - use this service to talk to an immigration adviser in confidence about your visa.
- Immigration and Healthcare
- Right to Rent checks
- Useful tips on protecting your Tier 4 visa
- University of Reading Institutional Tier 4 Policy (PDF - 193KB)
- Duties and Responsibilities under the Tier 4 Points Based Visa System
- Important Information for International Students (Visa Nationals)
- Police Registration information
- General Information on Visas (includes information on Student Visitor Visas)
- UK Visas & Immigration - Studying in the UK
- VISA News - check out the latest visa news and information from Student Services.
- Application for Endorsement by the University of Reading under Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa
- Specific immigration information for Postgraduate Research Students
Support and Advice
Studying in the UK
The UK academic culture can be quite different to many other countries. So below you will find some links to information, guidance and services that can help make your adjustment to the UK academic culture a smooth transition allowing you to maximise your potential.
- Study Advice
- Study Advice video tutorials - a great selection of video tutorials to help you succeed in your studies.
- Introduction to studying independently
- Academic English Programme
- Prepare for Success
- Prepare for Success Blog
- Studying in the UK - a new cultural experience?
- Assessment by examination in UK Higher Education
It is important to get the most out of your experience whilst you are studying in the UK. One great way to help you do this is to get involved in extra-curricula activities, the benefits can be many from making new friends to increasing your confidence, transferable skills and improve your English language. Below are some links to ways you can get involved: