Our aim is to enhance and promote the employability, careers and educational prospects of Reading students to help them achieve their goals in the changing world of work and further learning.
We are committed to ensuring impartiality and equal opportunity in the delivery of all services. We provide services to students both centrally and through work in Schools.
We offer services which are underpinned by the SAS Vision and Values:
Encourages intellectual curiosity
- Consultancy to schools, departments and programme staff to create best practice approaches to enhance employability embedding it throughout the curriculum
Promotes wellbeing, resilience and self-awareness
Central 1:1 appointments for career coaching and guidance, with triage from our reception team, and referral to longer appointments based on need.
Engages with students as co-creators in their development
Employability programmes including:
o UROP (summer research placements for undergraduates)
o Reading Internship Scheme - exclusive summer internships for Reading students
o RED award - certificate acknowledging 50 hours of training, volunteering and work experience
o THRIVE - mentoring programme for penultimate year students
o Annual events programme including 5 careers fairs and professional development workshops
o Jobshop - part time job opportunities
Is committed to student success
- Extra-curricular support for department cohorts, designed by Careers Consultants linked to each department.
- Central careers support services including an extensive event and workshop training programme, careers fairs
- Placement strategy and policy to ensure quality provision which meets our legal obligations and line management of placement coordinators.
- Employer liaison and proactive business development to increase the number of recruiters who engage with our services and seek to provide opportunities for Reading students.
- Management and operation of DLHE that informs university policies on student success and employability
- Bursary and scholarship schemes eg Teach First Bursary, Upreach, China Scholarships
Promotes global citizenship and inclusivity.
- Research and needs analysis for international students, and support for international experiences where resources allow. Collaboration with relevant teams including RIO, Study Abroad and Immigration.
- Management of China Scholarship Scheme
- For general queries: Reception team, 0118 378 8359
- For careers consultancy queries: Lucy Hawkins, Careers Consultancy Manager, 0118 378 6815 email@example.com - enquiries can then be passed on to the Careers Consultant for the school or department.
- For placement queries: Em Sowden, Placement and Development Manager, 0118 378 8354 firstname.lastname@example.org
- For employer and business queries: Jon Bainbridge, Business Development and Employer Engagement Manager, 0118 378 6774, email@example.com
- For RED, UROP and China Scholarship queries: Daniel Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org
- For DLHE queries: Chris Tye email@example.com
- Careers is based on the 1st floor of the Carrington Building on the Whiteknights Campus.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0118 378 8359