Windows 7 is approaching end of life and we will eventually be forced to adopt Windows 10. Initially we are focussing on a build of Windows 10 and Office 2016 suitable for labs, including the Library and teaching spaces (tech-tables).
Staff PCs, including PCs used by PhD students are out of scope - they will be planned from next year.
- The new build has been developed and tested and distributed to pilot PCs for further testing and checking. Feedback from further testing and usage will be reviewed and weekly updates for fine tuning made as necessary.
- We are currently reviewing and testing the deployment tools which are not currently giving a high enough success rate to plan a delivery schedule.
- Some issues with a particular range of PC hardware are also being investigated.
- Initial focus is on deployment to Library PCs as an extended pilot.
Key benefits of W10 and Office 2016
- Latest version of Microsoft operating system with a new generation design and improved user interface.
- Latest version of Office 2016 - includes co-authoring in Word and Powerpoint, more teamwork with OneNote, simplified document sharing, smart attachments when emailing, new chart types in Excel, etc
- New faster, safer browser available called Edge. However, if you don't like it, Internet Explorer and Chrome are also installed.
- Testing of the new build shows improved log on times over Windows 7.