Internal, open access

Making material available online

Transmitting material electronically (for example via email) and putting material online, whether it be a secure intranet or the World Wide Web, is one way of communicating it to the public. Communication to the public is an exclusive right of the copyright holder and must not be done without their permission or as agreed by a licence. The "public" in this case is staff and students of the University, and no exceptions are given for educational purposes. "Online" means all web-based areas such as Blackboard, websites, repository as well as any online database such as iTunes U, Mediasite and so on.

Text and Images (print)

For scanning text and images for course reading from printed resources to make them available in Blackboard, see Scanning course materials. Please note: only Library staff are designated to scan material to make available to students on courses in Blackboard. The CLA licence has strict guidelines which we must adhere to with regards to scanning - please ensure you get requests in to the Library as early as you can as the process takes a minimum of 4 weeks.

Text (digital)

Never just copy and paste large portions of text from other sites if you intend to re-use it online (including on Blackboard or other secure area). Always check the terms and conditions if there are any, or contact the web developer for permission to use the text. If you do not get a response, do not just go ahead and copy the text - link to it instead. Be aware that some sites do not allow you to deep link - check the terms and conditions carefully and link to the homepage only if deep linking is forbidden. See Electronic Information & Internet Resources for more details. Always credit your source.

If the text you wish to use comes from a subscription-based database or other licensed electronic resource, please see Subscription-based and licensed electronic resources for ways to include this text. The text could be in the form of a Word file, PDF, e-mail or Powerpoint. Always check the terms of the licence to see if it allows you to use the text in the way you want to. Note: if the resources are part of a subscription-based package that the University pays for, they are usually password-protected and the scope for re-using the content is often much more limited.

Images (digital)

Images on the Internet are the property of their creators or the people/organisations who have purchased the rights to them. In terms of photographs, it is always the photographer who owns the copyright in the first instance. You should never click and save pictures from the Internet with the intent to re-use them in your own content without permission to use them. Permission is granted either by licence, in writing from the copyright holder or by paying to use the image. See Electronic Information & Internet Resources for a detailed analysis of using images in your content and also for a list of where to find good quality 'free' images.

Multimedia Resources

If the resources you want to use are found on the Web, it is best to link to them or embed them rather than download and re-upload for your purposes. This includes on-demand services and YouTube. Always be careful when using multimedia from the Web as not everything is legitimate.

If the resources are part of Subscription-based and licensed electronic resources for the University, it is likely that you will be able to download them for educational use (for example, to put into Blackboard), but you will have to check the terms of the licence agreements first.

You can make extracts of films or programmes available for the purposes of examination and assessment, and also for lecture or seminar use - see TV, Film, Videos and DVDs for more information. 

Never use music which is within copyright for any of your teaching and learning materials unless it is for the purposes of examination and assessment. For the use of music and sound, go to Music, Sound Recordings and Radio for more information as well as links to sites containing copyright-free or licensed music.

Creating Multimedia Resources for online delivery

If you want to create your own teaching and learning materials, for example recording your lectures, there are many areas of the University which can offer technical expertise and advice. However, you must first look at Publishing AV material to the Web in order to ensure you have appropriate copyright clearance for any material (such as images) contained within your lecture, and also to ensure you have consent from all parties directly involved. The consent form for photography, filming and audio recording is available to download from the link page above.

Things to do now

Use the Permissions request template to request permission to use material from the copyright holder



Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists