Internal, open access

Writing a Journal Article for Scholarly Publication

Publishers usually require you to either provide evidence that you have obtained copyright clearance for third party content included in your article or sign an indemnity form which removes them from any liability that may arise from publishing your content. Third party content you include in your work ranges from diagrams, charts, maps, photographs, and so on.

However, you don't always need the permission of the copyright holder (who in some cases is the publisher if you are using material from another journal article for example). Situations when you don't need permission are:


1. When you are directly critiquing or reviewing the material

2. If your article constitutes non-commercial research, for short quotations of text provided they are all correctly cited

3. If the work is out of copyright (duration of copyright is usually for 70 years following the death of the author)

4. If the work is released under a 'Some rights reserved' licence, such as Creative Commons BY-SA


You will need to obtain permission from the copyright holder to use the content in all other circumstances.    

Things to do now

Page navigation

See also


Search Form

A-Z lists