Internal, open access


The University of Reading childcare voucher scheme 


Latest news

The childcare voucher scheme is now closed to new entrants.

The Government has closed childcare voucher schemes to new entrants with effect from 4th October 2018 and has introduced a new Tax-free Childcare (TFC) scheme. From 5th October 2018, TFC will be the only scheme open to new applicants. This provides parents with children under the age of 12 up to £2,000 a year per child to help cover childcare costs. For every £8 a parent pays in, the Government will pay in an extra £2.

Parents can open an online account through the government website GOV.UK, which you can use to pay for childcare from a registered provider. To qualify, parents will have to be in work, and each expecting to earn at least £120 a week and not more than £100,000 per annum.


If you are already in the childcare voucher scheme, you will be able to continue in the scheme until the September following your child's 15th birthday, or for as long as the University provides it and you remain eligible. You will not see any changes and you will continue to pay for and receive your vouchers in the normal way.

Parents can switch to TFC at any time, but please note that you cannot be in both TFC and the University childcare voucher scheme at the same time. Once you have joined TFC, you cannot switch back to the childcare voucher scheme. If you successfully register for TFC you must inform Human Resources within 90 days and then your childcare vouchers will stop.

Where can I use childcare vouchers?

Childcare vouchers can be used for all types of registered childcare, such as:

When your child is under 5 years old

When your child is 5 and over


After school & breakfast clubs


Holiday clubs



Crèche, nanny & Au Pair services

Residential activity holidays and day camps

How can I change or stop my vouchers?

If you wish to amend the amount of salary you exchange for vouchers, you will need to do this through your on-line account, or by calling the Computershare Customer Service Team. The minimum value you can exchange for a voucher is £10.

If you wish to stop receiving childcare vouchers you should contact the Computershare Customer Services Team. If there is any credit remaining in your account, you can either continue to use this up, or request a refund. You will need to complete a refund request form and submit it to Human Resources. You can suspend your payments temporarily, but you must receive a voucher once every 12 months to retain your eligibility for the scheme.

Computershare can be contacted at:


Phone: 03450021111


How much can I save?

The government has set a limit on the amount of salary that can be exchanged for childcare vouchers. The amount of salary that you can exchange depends on the level of tax that you pay. Because the value of the vouchers are taken directly from your gross salary, you won't pay tax or National Insurance (NI) contributions on the vouchers, so it will cost you less to pay for your childcare arrangements.

Childcare voucher annual salary









For use as general guidance only. Minimum value £10.

If you were already in the scheme before 6th April 2011, and have stayed in the scheme continuously, you will be able to exchange £243 per month for childcare vouchers, irrespective of the level of tax you pay.

Child tax credit

 Each working family situation is unique, therefore you should always take advice regarding Child Tax Credits and childcare vouchers. Tax credit information is available from HMRC




Things to do now

Please view the following  for more information about Childcare vouchers

Contact us

Computershare Customer Services

  • Email:
  • Telephone: 0345 002 1111
  • Address:
    Computershare Voucher Services Ltd
    The Pavilions
    Bridgewater Road
    BS18 8AE


Human Resources


Page navigation


Search Form

A-Z lists