Training and resources for staff
The IMPS office staff run a series of programmes designed to inform and train staff on issues relating to information management and compliance, and these include:
- Information Compliance and Management
- IMPS Contacts lunch sessions
See People Development for further details and information on how to sign up.
IMPS Contacts network
IMPS Contacts are a supported and informed network of (mainly) administrative staff distributed across the University, able to manage and direct queries and enquiries relating to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the Data Protection Act (DPA) and any other relevant information-related legislation. IMPS Contacts attend regular informal meetings to hear about training updates and examples of good practice, and also discuss current issues and concerns, which they can then pass on to their colleagues. Further information is given on the IMPS Contacts Network page.
If a member of staff has any query concerning information-related legislation they should contact their local IMPS Contact in the first instance. A list of IMPS Contacts' Names for each faculty or service is available.
The following training resources can be accessed by staff using their university username and password:
- Freedom of Information online course
- Data Protection online course
- Information Security online course, which uses Blackboard, the University's virtual learning environment
In accordance with the University's guidelines on accessibility the Data Protection and Freedom of Information online training courses are also available as PDFs:
A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Freedom of Information and Environmental Information issues designed specifically for staff is available on the Staff FAQs page.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- FOIA: Essential Information (PDF-146KB)
- FOIA - Briefing presentation for staff (PPT-119KB) (from the IMPS office)
- Office of the Information Commissioner (for further information on the FOIA. The Information Commissioner is the independent authority responsible for administering and enforcing the Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act, including approval of publication schemes)
- Directgov website FOIA guidance
Freedom of Information Act (the complete act)