Staff Profile:Dr Anne Mathers
- Professor Anne Lawrence
- Job Title:
I contribute to the History Part 1 courses on Landmarks in History and Approaches to History, focusing on Anglo-Saxon England within the latter. At Finals level, I teach Option courses on Medieval Magic and on the culture of Anglo-Saxon England, as well as a Survey course on Women in the Medieval World. I also supervise dissertations on medieval topics, especially within cultural, social and women's history.
I would be glad to supervise any research student with interests relating to book history, manuscript illumination or literacy, within the period outlined above.
Contact details Email: email@example.com
Tel. 0118 378 7659
- Areas of Interest:
- Research groups / Centres:
- Research Statement
My research interests are in the history of writing, book production and manuscript illumination in England and Normandy from the 10th to the 13th centuries. This includes particular emphases on the ownership and production of books by women, and on the role of books in creating and disseminating cultural identities in the medieval period. I have recently completed a study of the book collections, and scriptoria, of religious houses in Northern England, in order to analyse the nature of the cultural change experienced by the Northumbrian region in the century following the Norman Conquest. My current research focuses on religious women and their surviving books, again from the 10th to the 13th centuries, looking at issues of women's literacy and access to texts and scholarship. A new area in which I am developing research interests is that of medieval magical texts, and the books in which they survive.
YNumber of items: 17.
- Lawrence-Mathers, A. (2016) The Reading Computus Manuscript; St John's College Cambridge MS A 22. Reading Medieval Studies, 2016 (42). ISSN 0950-3129 (In Press)
- Lawrence, A. (2016) William of Malmesbury and the chronological controversy. In: Thomson, R., Dolmans, E. and Winkler, E. (eds.) Discovering William of Malmesbury. Boydell Press, Woodbridge. ISBN 9781783271368 (In Press)
- Lawrence-Mathers, A. and Escobar-Vargas, C. (2014) Magic and medieval society. Seminar studies. Routledge, London. ISBN 9780415739283
- Lawrence-Mathers, A. (2013) John of Worcester and the science of history. Journal of Medieval History, 39 (3). pp. 255-274. ISSN 0304-4181 doi: 10.1080/03044181.2013.798742
- Lawrence-Mathers, A. (2012) The true history of Merlin the Magician. Yale University Press, London, pp336. ISBN 9780300144895
- Lawrence, A. (2012) English Cistercian manuscripts of the twelfth century. In: Norton, C. and Park, D. (eds.) Cistercian art and architecture in the British Isles. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 284-299. ISBN 9780521181358
- Lawrence-Mathers, A. (2011) The Augustinians in Northumbria: region, tradition and textuality in a colonizing order. In: Burton, J. and Stober, K. (eds.) The Regular Canons in the Medieval British Isles. Brepols, Turnhout, Belgium, pp. 59-78. ISBN 9782503532486
- Lawrence-Mathers , A. (2010) Domesticating the calendar: the hours and the almanac in Tudor England. In: Lawrence-Mathers, A. and Hardman, P. (eds.) Women and Writing c1340-c1650; the Domestication of Print Culture. Manuscript Culture in the British Isles. York Medieval Press (with Boydell & Brewer), York, pp. 34-61. ISBN 9781903153321
- Lawrence-Mathers , A. (2010) Introduction. In: Women and Writing c1340-c1650; the Domestication of Print Culture. Manuscript Culture in the British Isles. York Medieval Press (with Boydell & Brewer), York, pp. 1-14. ISBN 9781903153321
- Lawrence, A. (2010) William of Newburgh and the Northumbrian construction of English history. Srednie Veka , 71 (1-2). pp. 80-108.
- Lawrence-Mathers , A. and Hardman, P. M., eds. (2010) Women and writing c1340-c1650; the domestication of print culture. Manuscript Culture in the British Isles, 2. York Medieval Press (in association with the Boydell Press), Woodbridge, Rochester NY, and York, pp238. ISBN 9781903153321
- Lawrence, A. (2007) William of Newburgh and the Northumbrian construction of English history. Journal of Medieval History, 33 (4). pp. 339-357. ISSN 0304-4181 doi: 10.1016/j.jmedhist.2007.09.002
- Lawrence, A. (2007) The problem of magic in early Anglo-Saxon England. Reading Medieval Studies, XXXIII. pp. 87-104. ISSN 0950-3129
- Lawrence, A. (2005) Review of 'Christina of Markyate: a twelfth-century holy women' by S. Fanous and H. Leyser. Reading Medieval Reviews.
- Lawrence, A. (2005) Review of 'Studies on medieval and early modern women' by C. Meek and C. Lawless. Reading Medieval Reviews.
- Lawrence, A. (2005) University College, Oxford, Ms 165 and the custodians of St Cuthbert. Newsletter of the Palaeography Special Interest Group, 13. pp. 1-8.
- Lawrence Mathers, A. (2003) Manuscripts in Northumbria in the 11th and 12th centuries. D. S. Brewer, Woodbridge, pp331. ISBN 9780859917650