THIS SCHOLARSHIP IS CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR 2016 APPLICANTS - THIS INFORMATION IS RETAINED FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND WILL BE UPDATED IN AUTUMN 2016 FOR ANY FUTURE ROUNDS OF COMPETITION.
Scholarships for students from India and other developing countries
What is available
Under the prestigious Felix Scholarships scheme, up to three Felix Scholarships will be available to well qualified students with Indian citizenship to pursue postgraduate study at the University, starting their programme in September 2016.
One further award, for study at Masters level, will be made to a student from a developing country* who can demonstrate academic excellence and financial need.
What the awards provide
These scholarships cover tuition fees at the international rate and provide a stipend (maintenance grant) to cover living expenses (the current level of which - in 2015/16 - is £13,593). They also provide generous allowances for clothes, books and a return flight home. The awards are available (depending on eligibility) for up to 3 years.
Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme or Taught Masters programme.
Criteria and conditions for candidates
- You must demonstrate financial need
- You must possess at least a first-class honours degree from a University or comparable institution
- You must not hold a degree from a University outside your home country
- You must not have studies outside your home country for one year or more
- Candidates are expected by the Trust to return to work in their home country following their study
- You must have been accepted for admission by the University by 29 January 2016 to be considered for shortlisting. You should therefore apply for admission at the earliest opportunity. Candidates who have an academic condition on their offer of admission (such as completion of a qualification they are currently working towards) will need to successful meet that condition by the short-listing stage (w/c 21 March 2016) in order to be considered for this year's competition; they should otherwise consider applying to the competition next year.
How to apply for the Scholarship
1) Complete an online application for admission to a Postgraduate Degree at the University of Reading and hold an offer of admission by the deadline (29 January 2016) and a separate application form for the Felix Scholarship.
2) Complete the electronic form at the bottom of this webpage in order to express your interest in being considered for the Felix Scholarships. This will ask you to confirm that you have read (and comply with) the Felix Scholarship criteria listed above.
3) Eligible candidates will then be considered for nomination by their academic School / Department at Stage One. If you are successful in being nominated, you will receive a request on Tuesday 23 February 2016 asking you to complete a full Felix application form. This must be returned by Tuesday 1 March 2016.
4) Nominees will then be considered for shortlisting by the University level panel at the end of March. If you are shortlisted by the University, you will be notified. Candidates for the Indian awards will be asked by representatives of the Felix Trust to attend an interview in India during April/May 2016.
Deadline for applications
29 January 2016
For further information and advice about making an application please contact:
Chris Robson, Head of Postgraduate Research Support and Development, Graduate School
Telephone: +44 (0)118 378 6169
Additional information about the Felix Scholarship scheme, which also runs at the University of Oxford and at the School of Oriental & African Studies, can also be found on the external Felix Scholarship website.
*The Felix Trustees have indicated that the 1 Scholarship available to students from 'developing countries' is aimed primarily at candidates from Africa and excludes "all Western countries, including most of the European Community, and China / Taiwan". If nominated by the University for the award, the eligibility of high quality candidates from countries other than India and Africa will need to be approved by the Felix Trustees.
Application form for nominated candidates
The form below is to be used only by candidates who have been given notification that they are nominated by their academic School to go forward to the University selection panel.