The PhD Plus programme is specially designed for individuals teaching in higher education institutions outside of the UK who are looking to develop their skills and experience. At no additional cost, this enhanced PhD programme offers participants the chance to gain an insight into teaching and learning within the UK Higher Education sector, and undertake specialist training, whilst simultaneously pursuing PhD study.
“I was introduced to novel teaching techniques, methodologies and practices, which I could compare and contrast with those in my home country and learn from good practice. This will be immensely beneficial for my teaching in the years to come.”
What the programme offers
By registering for the PhD Plus programme, you will be guaranteed a place on our Preparing to Teach programme.
You will also receive additional training, specific to overseas lecturers, on:
- designing, preparing and delivering successful lectures
- managing behaviour and engaging students
- supporting student welfare and wellbeing
The programme provides you with the opportunity to participate in a yearly seminar led by senior staff, on teaching and learning, and higher education in the UK.
You have the choice of improving your skills either:
- by practical experience, based on delivering at least three teaching sessions, with peer review and feedback
- through our Academic Mentoring scheme, which, over the course of a term, allows you to shadow and receive mentoring from a senior member of teaching staff as they design, deliver and review a number of teaching sessions.
All participants undertaking the programme will receive a certificate confirming that they have completed the programme.
After completing the programme, you will be eligible to apply for a two-year Postdoctoral Visiting Fellowship at the University of Reading following completion of your PhD. For further information, please go to the section 'Honorary, Visiting and Courtesy Titles' at Academic and Governance Services - policies and reference documents.
To be eligible for the PhD Plus programme, you must:
- have applied to and been accepted for a PhD at the University of Reading
- be paying tuition fees at the overseas rate
- be a lecturer or senior lecturer in you home institution (which must be based outside the UK)
- be located in Reading for at least 50% of your registration period.
You are normally expected to complete the PhD Plus programme elements during your second or third year of study. However, you may wish to undertake some of the elements in your first year.
How to apply
If you are interested in participating in the PhD Plus programme, you should:
- Apply for admission to your PhD through our online application system.
- Complete the PhD Plus Expression of Interest form and submit this, together with a letter from your home institution confirming your lecturer/senior lecturer status, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discover the next steps
If you are thinking of applying for a doctoral research programme, find out what you need to do next.