PhD by Distance
Our PhD by Distance programme allows you to benefit from our world-class support and the expertise of a Reading-based supervisor, while conducting your research in a location that suits your circumstances.
The programme is aimed at students who need to study for most of their registration period at another, usually overseas, site. There are several reasons why you may wish to base yourself away from the University of Reading while undertaking your PhD:
- the nature of your research project requires substantial access to resources and facilities located away from Reading
- you have employment commitments relevant to your research that prevent you from being based in Reading
- your PhD project has been agreed as apart of a specific partnership/sponsorship arrangement.
You can choose to complete a PhD by Distance programme on either a part-time or full-time basis.
What the programme offers
On the PhD by Distance programme, you will benefit from:
- supervision from one or more leading University of Reading academics, working at the forefront of their field
- access to high-quality training, delivered on campus and/or via bespoke online packages
- a reduced tuition fee, set at half the standard full- or part-time rate for periods when studying off-campus.
“During my PhD by Distance, I undertook my research in the field in South Africa. This experience enabled me to develop a much deeper and intricate understanding of my research topic, which would not have been possible if I had been based in Reading for most of the time.”
In addition to meeting the standard academic and language eligibility requirements, you must be able to demonstrate that you:
- can successfully conduct your research with the resources available to you at your off-campus study site
- have access to appropriate IT facilities, so that you can engage in supervision and training from your off-campus study site
- have the necessary time, commitment and appropriate attitude toward studying off-campus.
If you are intending to study in the Henley Business School, then please check with the relevant Department within the Business School about whether PhD by Distance is available before you apply.
How to apply
Use our PhD Enquiry Form to get in touch with us and to check that the PhD by Distance programme is appropriate for your situation.
Once it has been agreed that you have the appropriate academic background, your proposed research topic is acceptable and that the PhD can be carried out at a distance, you will need to make a formal application through the University's online application system, highlighting that you wish to study for a PhD by Distance.
Discover the next steps
If you are thinking of applying for a doctoral research programme, find out what you need to do next.