Staff Profile:Dr Sally Lloyd-Evans
- Dr Sally Lloyd-Evans
- Job Title:
- Associate Professor
- Placements Officer (SAGES)
- Co-ordinator for the Erasmus exchange programme and visiting students
- Undergraduate teaching: Geographies of Development; Work, Employment and Development.
- Masters teaching; Sustainable Urban Communities.
- Areas of Interest:
- Work, employment and the informal sector in the UK and developing countries
- Gender, ethnicity and equal opportunities.
- Recent trends in urbanisation in developing countries
- Regional interests - the Caribbean and Latin America
- Geographies of Children, Youth and Families
- Research groups / Centres:
Sally has worked as a Research Fellow at the University of the West Indies in Trinidad, and co-ordinated the RGS/IBG British-Caribbean Seminar Series from 1994-1998. She recently completed a research project on racialised gendering and youth employment with Sophie Bowlby, funded under the ESRC's Cities Programme.
Sally has worked with Slough EAZ, Slough Race Equality Council, Slough-Windsor Education Business Partnership and the Berkshire Learning and Skills Council to promote equality in the local labour market. She is currently a member of the Berkshire LSC's Equal Opportunities Framework and the Slough Business Community Partnership's HR Strategy Group.
YNumber of items: 10.
- Potter, R., Conway, D., Evans, R. and Lloyd-Evans, S. (2012) Key concepts in development geography. Key Concepts in Human Geography . Sage Publications, London, pp288. ISBN 9780857025845
- Bowlby, S. and Lloyd-Evans, S. (2011) Between state and market: the non-profit workforce in a changing local environment. Social Policy and Society, 10 (3). pp. 417-427. ISSN 1475-3073 doi: 10.1017/S1474746411000133
- Foy-Phillips, P. and Lloyd-Evans, S. (2011) Shaping children’s mobilities: expectations of gendered parenting in the English rural idyll. Children's Geographies, 9 (3-4). pp. 379-394. ISSN 1473-3277 doi: 10.1080/14733285.2011.590701
- Potter, R.B. and Lloyd-Evans, S. (2009) The Brandt Commission. In: Kitchen, R. and Thrift, N. (eds.) The International Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Elsevier, Oxford, pp. 348-354.
- Lloyd-Evans, S. and Potter, R.B. (2009) Third World cities. In: Kitchen, R. and Thrift, N. (eds.) The International Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Elsevier, Oxford, pp. 247-255.
- Bowlby, S. and Lloyd-Evans, S. (2009) You seem very westernized to me: place, identity and othering of Muslim workers in the UK labour market. In: Hopkins, P. and Gale, R. (eds.) Muslims in Britain: race, place and identities. Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN 9780748625871
- Lloyd-Evans, S. (2008) Child labour. In: Desai, V. and Potter, R. B. (eds.) The companion to development studies. 2nd edition. Hodder Education, London and New York. ISBN 9780340889145
- Lloyd-Evans, S. (2008) Geographies of the contemporary informal sector in the global South: gender, employment relationships and social protection. Geography Compass, 2 (6). pp. 1885-1906. ISSN 1749-8198 doi: 10.1111/j.1749-8198.2008.00157.x
- Bowlby, S., Lloyd-Evans, S. and Roche, C. (2004) Youth employment, racialised gendering and school-work transitions. In: Parkinson, M. and Boddy, M. (eds.) City Matters. Policy Press, Bristol.
- Lloyd-Evans, S. and Potter, R. B. (2002) Gender, ethnicity and the informal sector in Trinidad. Ashgate, Aldershot, pp313. ISBN 0754612562
McIlwaine, C, Chant, S and Lloyd-Evans, S (2002) Making a living: employment, livelihoods and the informal sector. Chp 5 in McIlwaine, C and Willis, K (eds) Challenges and Change in Middle America, DARG and Pearson, Hoarlow, 110-135.
Lloyd-Evans, S (2002) 'Child Labour' in Desai, V and Potter, R B (eds) The Companion to Development Studies, Arnold, London, 215-218.
Lloyd-Evans, S and Bowlby, S (2000) Crossing Boundaries: Racialised gendering and the labour market experiences of Pakistani migrant wives in Britain, Women's Studies International Forum 23 (4), 461-474.
Lloyd-Evans, S, McGregor, D F M and Barker, D (1998) 'Sustainable development and the Caribbean: Geographical Perspectives'. Chp 1 in McGregor, D, Barker, D and Lloyd-Evans, S (eds) Sustainability and development in the Caribbean: Geographical Perspectives, University of the West Indies Press, Mona, Jamaica, 3-25.
Potter, R B and Lloyd-Evans, S (1998) 'Sun, fun and rum deal: perspectives on development in the Caribbean', Focus 44 (4), 19-26.
Potter, R B and Lloyd-Evans, S (1998) The City in the Developing World, Addison Wesley Longman, Harlow.
Lloyd-Evans, S (1998) Gender, ethnicity and small business development in Trinidad: Prospects for sustainable job creation. Chp 14 in McGregor, D, Barker, D and Lloyd-Evans, S (eds) Sustainability and development in the Caribbean: Geographical Perspectives, University of the West Indies Press, Mona, Jamaica, 195-213.
McGregor, D F M, Barker, D and Lloyd-Evans, S (eds) (1998) Sustainability and Development in the Caribbean: Geographical Perspectives, University of the West Indies Press, Mona, Jamaica (refereed collection of international research papers).
Bowlby, S R, Lloyd-Evans, S and Mohammad, R (1997) 'Becoming a paid worker: origins and destinations'. In Valentine, G and Skelton, T (eds) Geographies of Youth Cultures, Routledge, London, 229-248.
McGregor, D F M, Barker, D and Lloyd-Evans, S (eds) (1997) Resource Sustainability and Caribbean Development, Special Issue of Caribbean Geography 7 (1), 1-75.
Lloyd-Evans, S, Bowlby, S R and Mohammad, R (1996) Pakistani Muslim Women's Experiences of the Labour Market in Reading: Barriers, Aspirations and Opportunities: Part II. Research report prepared for Reading Borough Council and the Government Office for the South East (main author).
Lloyd-Evans, S and Potter, R B (1996) 'Environmental impacts of urban development and the urban informal sector in the Caribbean'. In Eden, M J and Parry, J T (eds) Land Degradation in the Tropics: Environmental and Policy Issues, Pinter, London, 245-260.
Lloyd-Evans, S. (2002) Child Labour. In Desai, V. and Potter, R.B. (eds) The Companion to Development Studies, Arnold, London, 215-218.
- PhD (London)