Staff Profile:Professor Richard Skeffington
- Professor Richard Skeffington
- Job Title:
- Sessional Lecturer
- Undergraduate Teaching: Biogeography and Soils; Team Projects; Air pollution - Effects and Control.
- Supervises and advises on 3rd year dissertations.
- Postgraduate supervision
- Areas of Interest:
- Measurement and modelling of climate change effects on water quality
- Measurement and modelling of catchment influences on water quality
- Novel analytical methods for water quality monitoring
- Scientific basis for environmental legislation
- Acidification and recovery from acidification
- Environmental effects of air pollutants
- Research groups / Centres:
After his PhD, Richard worked on heavy metal uptake by plants and then reclamation of China clay waste at the Universities of London and Liverpool respectively, before joining the research arm of the then nationalised electricity industry in 1977. He researched numerous aspects of the effects of electricity generation on the environment, but particularly the effects of acid rain on soils, forests and waters, becoming Head of Terrestrial Ecology in 1988. After privatisation of the industry in 1991, he became internal biology consultant to National Power plc, and ran an industry-wide contract research programme on environmental effects. He left the industry in 2000 and joined the University on a contract basis, where he has worked on a number of research projects.
Currently he is working on REFRESH, an EU-funded programme involving 19 countries which aims to discover effective ways of mitigating the effects of climate change on freshwater ecosystems, and LIMPIDS, which aims to discover novel ways to monitor chemicals in freshwaters and explore the implications of the results for models of freshwater function.
YNumber of items: 19.
- Bowes, M. J., Jarvie, H. P., Halliday, S. J., Skeffington, R. A., Wade, A. J., Loewenthal, M., Gozzard, E., Newman, J. R. and Palmer-Felgate, E. J. (2015) Characterising phosphorus and nitrate inputs to a rural river using high-frequency concentration-flow relationships. Science of the Total Environment, 511. pp. 608-620. ISSN 0048-9697 doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.12.086
- Halliday, S. J., Skeffington, R. A., Bowes, M. J., Gozzard, E., Newman, J. R., Loewenthal, M., Palmer-Felgate, E. J., Jarvie, H. P. and Wade, A. J. (2014) The water quality of the River Enborne, UK: observations from high-frequency Monitoring in a rural, lowland river system. Water, 6 (1). pp. 150-180. ISSN 2073-4441 doi: 10.3390/w6010150
- Jackson-Blake, L. A., Dunn, S. M., Helliwell, R. C., Skeffington, R. A., Stutter, M. I. and Wade, A. J. (2014) How well can we model stream phosphorus concentrations in agricultural catchments? Environmental Modelling and Software, 64. pp. 31-46. ISSN 1364-8152 doi: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2014.11.002
- Halliday, S. J., Skeffington, R. A., Wade, A. J., Neal, C., Reynolds, B., Norris, D. and Kirchner, J. W. (2013) Upland streamwater nitrate dynamics across decadal to sub-daily timescales: a case study of Plynlimon, Wales. Biogeosciences, 10. pp. 8013-8038. ISSN 1726-4189 doi: 10.5194/bg-10-8013-2013
- Rankinen, K., Futter, M. N., Butterfield, D., Wade, A. J., Skeffington, R., Arvola, L., Veijalainen, N., Huttunen, I. and Lepisto, A. (2013) Controls on inorganic nitrogen leaching from Finnish catchments assessed using a sensitivity and uncertainty analysis of the INCA-N model. Boreal Environment Research, 18 (5). pp. 373-386.
- Halliday, S. J., Wade, A. J., Skeffington, R. A., Neal, C., Reynolds, B., Rowland, P., Neal, M. and Norris, D. (2012) An analysis of long-term trends, seasonality and short-term dynamics in water quality data from Plynlimon, Wales. Science of the Total Environment, 434. pp. 186-200. ISSN 0048-9697 doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2011.10.052
- Skeffington, R. and Hill, T. (2012) The effects of a changing pollution climate on throughfall deposition and cycling in a forested area in southern England. Science of the Total Environment, 434. pp. 28-38. ISSN 0048-9697 doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2011.12.038
- Jarvie, H. P., Jickells, T. D., Skeffington, R. A. and Withers, P. J. A. (2012) Climate change and coupling of macronutrient cycles along the atmospheric, terrestrial, freshwater and estuarine continuum. Science of the Total Environment, 434. pp. 252-258. ISSN 0048-9697 doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.07.051
- Wade, A. J., Palmer-Felgate, E. J., Halliday, S. J., Skeffington, R. A., Loewenthal, M., Jarvie, H. J., Bowes, M. J., Greenway, G. M., Haswell, S. J., Bell, I. M., Joly, E., Fallatah, A., Neal, C., Williams, R. J., Gozzard, E. and Newman, J. R. (2012) Hydrochemical processes in lowland rivers: insights from in situ, high-resolution monitoring. Hydrology and Earth System Science, 16 (11). pp. 4323-4342. ISSN 1027-5606 doi: 10.5194/hess-16-4323-2012
- Skeffington, R. A., Wade, A. J., Whitehead, P. G., Butterfield, D., Kaste, Ø. , Andersen, H. E., Rankinen, K. and Grenouillet, G. (2010) Modelling Catchment Scale Responses to Climate Change. In: Kernan, M., Battarbee, R. W. and Moss, B. (eds.) Climate Change Impacts on Freshwater Ecosystems. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, pp. 236-261. ISBN 9781405179133 doi: 10.1002/9781444327397
- Futter, M. N., Skeffington, R. A., Whitehead, P. G. and Moldan, F. (2009) Modelling stream and soil water nitrate dynamics during experimentally increased nitrogen deposition in a coniferous forest catchment at Gardsjon, Sweden. Hydrology Research, 40 (2-3). pp. 187-197. ISSN 0029-1277 doi: DOI:10.2166/nh.2009.076
- Battarbee, R. W., Kernan, M., Livingstone, D. M., Nickus, U., Verdonschot, P., Hering, D., Moss, B., Wright, R. F., Evans, C. D., Grimalt, J. O., Johnson, R. K., Maltby, E., Linstead, C. and Skeffington, R. A. (2008) Freshwater ecosystem responses to climate change: the Euro-limpacs project. In: Quevauviller, P., Thompson, C. and Simonart, T. (eds.) The Water Framework Directive - Ecological and Chemical Status Monitoring. John Wiley and Sons, pp. 313-354. ISBN 9780470518366 doi: 10.1002/9780470716090.ch20
- Heywood, E.A., Skeffington, R. A., Whitehead, P. and Reynolds, B. (2007) Comparison of critical load exceedance and its uncertainty based on national and site-specific data. Water Air & Soil Pollution: Focus, 7 (1-3). pp. 391-397. ISSN 1573-2940 doi: 10.1007/s11267-006-9082-x
- Skeffington, R. A., Whitehead, P., Heywood, E., Hall, J. R., Wadsworth, R. A. and Reynolds, B. (2007) Estimating uncertainty in terrestrial critical loads and their exceedances at four sites in the UK. Science of the Total Environment, 382 (2-3). pp. 199-213. ISSN 0048-9697 doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2007.05.001
- Skeffington, R. A., Hall, J.R., Heywood, E., Wadsworth, R.A., Whitehead, P., Reynolds, B., Abbott, J. and Vincent, K., (2007) Uncertainty in critical load assessment models. Science Report: SC030172/SR. Technical Report. Environment Agency, Bristol.
- Skeffington, R. (2006) Quantifying uncertainty in critical loads: (A) literature review. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 169 (1-4). pp. 3-24. ISSN 0049-6979 doi: 10.1007/s11270-006-0382-6
- Skeffington, R., Whitehead, P. and Abbott, J. (2006) Quantifying uncertainty in critical loads: (B) acidity mass balance critical loads on a sensitive site. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 169 (1-4). pp. 25-46. ISSN 0049-6979 doi: 10.1007/s11270-006-2218-9
- Neal, C., Skeffington, R., Neal, M., Wyatt, R., Wickham, H., Hill, L. and Hewitt, N. (2004) Rainfall and runoff water quality of the Pang and Lambourn, tributaries of the River Thames, south-eastern England. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 8 (4). pp. 601-613. ISSN 1027-5606
- Moldan, F., Skeffington, R. A., Mörth, C. M., Torssander, P., Hultberg, H. and Munthe, J. (2004) Results from the Covered Catchment Experiment at Gårdsjön, Sweden, after ten years of clean precipitation treatment. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 154 (1-4). pp. 371-384. ISSN 0049-6979
- BSc, Sussex; PhD, Dundee; CBiol; FSB