Staff Profile:Dr Steve Robinson
- Dr Steve Robinson
- Job Title:
- Head of Department
- Head of Department, Geography and Environmental Science
- Areas of Interest:
- The role of agriculture in the degradation of water quality
- Reducing the transfer of nutrients from agricultural land to surface waters.
- The effect of organic amendments on soil nutrient dynamics and water quality.
- Biogeochemical processes in soil that regulate phosphorus dynamics in periodically flooded soils.
- The use of remote sensing and Earth observation to identify and model critical source areas and pathways of pollution in agricultural catchments.
- Nutrient cycling in organic farming systems.
In the USA, Steve developed his research record in the role of agriculture in the degradation of water quality through losses of nutrients and other water pollutants. Specifically, his international reputation is in the biogeochemistry of phosphorus at the soil-water interface. One of his current research roles is lead contractor in a EU FP 6 project on the recycling and biological upgrading of bone meal for environmentally sustainable crop protection and P nutrition
- Research groups / Centres:
Steve Robinson was appointed lecturer in the Department of Soil Science in 1996. His teaching and research address the role and behaviour of soils in both the man-made and natural environments, seeking to ask and answer questions that are pertinent to national and international laws on agricultural land use and environmental quality. Following his PhD at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, he spent four years conducting postdoctoral work in the USA; first with the USDA in Oklahoma and then at the University of Florida. Under the Erasmus Staff Mobility Programme, Steve regularly lectures in Soil Science and Wetland Biogeochemistry at The University of Rostock, Germany.
Steve sits on the Science and Horticulture Advice Committee for the Royal Horticultural Society and has a substantial commitment to the supervision of research projects, particularly those of overseas postgraduate students.
YNumber of items: 22.
- Boon, A., Robinson, J.S., Nightingale, P.D., Cardenas, L., Chadwick, D.R. and Verhoef, A. (2013) Determination of the gas diffusion coefficient of a peat grassland soil. European Journal of Soil Science, 64 (5). pp. 681-687. ISSN 1351-0754 doi: 10.1111/ejss.12056
- Hill, C. R. and Robinson, S. (2012) Phosphorus flux from wetland ditch sediments. Science of the Total Environment, 437. pp. 315-322. ISSN 0048-9697 doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.06.109
- Dumont, P. A., Chadwick, D. R., Misselbrook, T. H., Robinson, S., Smith, K. A., Sagoo, E., Camp, V., Murray, R., French, P., Hill, R. A. and Scott, A. (2012) Effluent quality and ammonia emissions from out-wintering pads in England, Wales and Ireland. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 160. pp. 82-90. ISSN 0167-8809 doi: 10.1016/j.agee.2012.04.019
- Córdova, C., Sohi, S. P., Lark, R. M., Goulding, K. W. T. and Robinson, J. S. (2012) Resolving the spatial variability of soil N using fractions of soil organic matter. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, 147. pp. 66-72. ISSN 0167-8809 doi: 10.1016/j.agee.2011.06.016
- King, C. M., Robinson, J. S. and Cameron, R. W. (2012) Flooding tolerance in four 'Garrigue' landscape plants: implications for their future use in the urban landscapes of north-west Europe? Landscape and Urban Planning, 107 (2). pp. 100-110. ISSN 0169-2046 doi: 10.1016/j.landurbplan.2012.05.005
- Robinson, S., Black, S., Sellwood, B. W. and Valdes, P. J. (2011) A review of palaeoclimates and palaeoenvironments in the Levant and Eastern Mediterranean from 25,000 to 5,000 years BP: setting the environmental background for the evolution of human civilisation. In: Mithen, S. and Black, E. (eds.) Water, Life and Civilisation: Climate, Environment and Society in the Jordan Valley. International Hydrology Series. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 71-93. ISBN 9780521769570
- Cameron, R. W., King, C. M. and Robinson, S. (2010) Ornamental Mediterranean plants in the UK: root adaptations to hypoxia and anoxia. Acta Horticulturae, 881. pp. 469-474. ISSN 0567-7572 (II International Conference on Landscape and Urban Horticulture)
- Warren, G. P., Robinson, J. S. and Someus, E. (2009) Dissolution of phosphorus from animal bone char in 12 soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 84 (2). pp. 167-178. ISSN 1385-1314 doi: 10.1007/s10705-008-9235-6
- Niedermeier, A. and Robinson, J. S. (2009) Phosphorus dynamics in the ditch system of a restored peat wetland. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, 131 (3-4). pp. 161-169. ISSN 0167-8809 doi: 10.1016/j.agee.2009.01.011
- Hudson, T. M., Turner, B. L., Herz, H. and Robinson, J. S. (2009) Temporal patterns of nutrient availability around nests of leaf-cutting ants (Atta colombica) in secondary moist tropical forest. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 41 (6). pp. 1088-1093. ISSN 0038-0717 doi: 10.1016/j.soilbio.2009.02.014
- Antonladis, V., Robinson, J. S. and Alloway, B. J. (2008) Effects of short-term pH fluctuations on cadmium, nickel, lead, and zinc availability to ryegrass in a sewage sludge-amended field. Chemosphere, 71 (4). pp. 759-764. ISSN 0045-6535 doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.10.015
- Meissner, R., Leinweber, P., Rupp, H., Shenker, M., Litaor, M. I., Robinson, S., Schlichting, A. and Koehn, J. (2008) Mitigation of diffuse phosphorus pollution during rewetting of fen peat soils: A trans-European case study. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 188 (1-4). pp. 111-126. ISSN 0049-6979 doi: 10.1007/s11270-007-9528-4
- Niedermeier, A. and Robinson, J. S. (2007) Hydrological controls on soil redox dynamics in a peat-based, restored wetland. Geoderma, 137 (3-4). pp. 318-326. ISSN 0016-7061 doi: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2006.08.027
- Ampontuah, E. O., Robinson, J. S. and Nortcliff, S. (2006) Assessment of soil particle redistribution on two contrasting cultivated hillslopes. Geoderma, 132 (3-4). pp. 324-343. ISSN 0016-7061 doi: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2005.05.014
- Nying, C. S. and Robinson, J. S. (2006) Factors influencing the dissolution of phosphate rock in a range of high P-fixing soils from Cameroon. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 37 (15-20). pp. 2627-2645. ISSN 0010-3624
- Baggie, I., Rowell, D. L., Robinson, J. S. and Warren, G. P. (2005) Decomposition and phosphorus release from organic residues as affected by residue quality and added inorganic phosphorus. Agroforestry Systems, 63 (2). pp. 125-131. ISSN 0167-4366
- Fortune, S., Robinson, J. S., Watson, C. A., Philipps, L., Conway, J. S. and Stockdale, E. A. (2005) Response of organically managed grassland to available phosphorus and potassium in the soil and supplementary fertilization: field trials using grass-clover leys cut for silage. Soil Use and Management, 21 (4). pp. 370-376. ISSN 0266-0032 doi: 10.1079/sum2005338
- Siddique, M. T. and Robinson, J. S. (2004) Differences in phosphorus retention and release in soils amended with animal manures and sewage sludge. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 68 (4). pp. 1421-1428. ISSN 0361-5995
- Baggie, I., Rowell, D. L., Warren, G. P. and Robinson, J. S. (2004) Utilisation by upland rice of plant residue- and fertiliser-phosphorus in two tropical acid soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 69 (1). pp. 73-84. ISSN 1385-1314
- Niedermeier, A., Robinson, J. S. and Reid, D. (2004) Wetland restoration within agricultural watersheds: Balancing water quality protection with habitat conservation. In: International Symposium on Nutrient Management in Agricultural Watersheds - A Wetlands Solution, Wexford, IRELAND, pp. 55-70.
- Siddique, M. T. and Robinson, J. S. (2003) Phosphorus sorption and availability in soils amended with animal manures and sewage sludge. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32 (3). pp. 1114-1121. ISSN 0047-2425
- Davenport, I. J., Silgram, M., Robinson, J. S., Lamb, A., Settle, J. J. and Willig, A. (2003) The use of earth observation techniques to improve catchment-scale pollution predictions. Physics & Chemistry of the Earth, 28 (33-36). pp. 1365-1376. doi: 10.1016/j.pce.2003.09.013
George, T.S., Gregory, P.J., Robinson, J.S. and Buresh, R.J. (2002) Changes in phosphorus concentrations and pH in the rhizosphere of some agroforestry and crop species. Plant and Soil 246, 65-73.
George, T.S., Gregory, P.J., Robinson, J.S., Buresh, R.J. and Jama, B. (2002) Utilisation of soil organic P by agroforestry and crop species in the field, western Kenya. Plant and Soil 246, 53-63.
George, T.S., Gregory, P.J., Robinson, J.S., Buresh, R.J. and Jama, B. (2001) Tithonia diversifolia: variations in leaf nutrient concentration and implications for biomass transfer. Agroforestry Systems 52, 199-205.
Hutchins, M., Silgram, M., Davenport, I., Settle, J., Robinson, J.S., Simmonds, L.P. and Veck, N. (2001) The role of earth observation techniques in improving field-scale predictions of runoff, erosion and pollutant fluxes. Aspects of Applied Biology 60, 219-224.
Siddique, M.T., Robinson, J.S. and Alloway, B.J. (2000) Phosphorus reactions and leaching potential in soils amended with sewage sludge. Journal of Environmental Quality 29, 1931-1938.
Robinson, J.S., Johnston, C.T. and Reddy, K.R. (1998) Combined chemical and 31P-NMR spectroscopic analysis of phosphorus in wetland organic soils. Soil Science 163, 705-713.
Ivanoff, D.B., Reddy, K.R. and Robinson, J.S. (1998) Chemical fractionation of organic phosphorus in selected histosols. Soil Science 163, 36-45.
Robinson, J.S. and Sharpley, A.N. (1996) Reaction in soil of phosphorus released from poultry litter. Soil Science Society of America Journal 60, 1583-1588.