Staff Profile:Dr Giuseppe Feola
- Dr Giuseppe Feola
- Job Title:
- Lecturer in Environment and Development
- Areas of Interest:
Giuseppe's research is focussed on developing a better theoretical and empirical understanding of coupled human and natural systems to inform policy and foster a societal transformation towards sustainability.
Current research interests include:
- Human agency in coupled human and natural systems.
- System analysis and assessment of interactions between human and natural subsystems.
- Theories and models of societal change towards sustainability and their application to research and practice.
- Strategies, policies and tools to steer specific systems towards sustainability.
The preferred field in which Giuseppe addresses these research interests is that of agri-food systems. Consistently with a Sustainability Science approach, Giuseppe combines theoretical and applied research. The methodologically of his research is interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary, and often integrates different methods, among which are survey research, statistical and simulation modelling.
- Research groups / Centres:
Teaching and student supervision:
Giuseppe convenes, or contributes to, several undergraduate modules, including Social Geography and Society and Nature.
Giuseppe is pleased to discuss potential applications from prospective PhD students in the area such as: resilience and sustainability of agri-food systems, agricultural adaptation to climate change, evolution of food culture, and the transition movement.
YNumber of items: 16.
- Feola, G. (2013) Models of human behaviour in social-ecological systems. In: World Social Science Report 2013. Changing Global Environments. ISSC, UNESCO , pp. 321-325. doi: 10.1787/9789264203419-52-en
- Grasso, M. and Feola, G. (2013) Human security and climate change in the Mediterranean region. In: Redclift, M. R. and Grasso, M. (eds.) Handbook on Climate change and Human Security. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, pp. 254-280. ISBN 9780857939104
- Feola, G. and Nunes, R., (2013) Failure and success of transition initiatives: a study of the international replication of the transition movement. Research Note. 4. Walker Institute for Climate System Research, University of Reading, Reading.
- Binder, C. R. and Feola, G. (2013) Normative, systemic and procedural aspects : a review of indicator-based sustainability assessments in agriculture. In: Marta-Costa, A. A. and Silva, E. (eds.) Methods and procedures for building sustainable farming systems. Springer, pp. 33-46. ISBN 9789400750029 doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-5003-6_4 (In Press)
- Henry, D. and Feola, G. (2013) Pesticide-handling practices of smallholder coffee farmers in Eastern Jamaica. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics, 114 (1). pp. 59-67. ISSN 1612-9830
- Feola, G. (2013) What (science for) adaptation to climate change in Colombian agriculture? A commentary on “A way forward on adaptation to climate change in Colombian agriculture: perspectives towards 2050” by J. Ramirez-Villegas, M. Salazar, A. Jarvis, C. E. Navarro-Valcines. Climatic Change. ISSN 1573-1480 doi: 10.1007/s10584-013-0731-6 (In Press)
- Feola, G., Gallati, J. A. and Binder, C. R. (2012) Exploring behavioural change through an agent-oriented system dynamics model: the use of personal protective equipment among pesticide applicators in Colombia. System Dynamics Review, 28 (1). pp. 69-93. ISSN 1099-1727 doi: 10.1002/sdr.469
- Grasso, M. and Feola, G. (2012) Mediterranean agriculture under climate change: adaptive capacity, adaptation, and ethics. Regional Environmental Change. ISSN 1436-378X doi: 10.1007/s10113-011-0274-1 (In Press)
- Feola, G., Sattler, C. and Saysel, A. K. (2012) Simulation models in farming systems research : potential and challenges. In: Farming systems research into the 21st century : the new dynamic. Springer, pp. 281-306. ISBN 9789400745025 doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-4503-2_13
- Feola, G., Rahn, E. and Binder, C.R. (2011) Suitability of pesticide risk indicators for less developed countries: a comparison. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 142 (3-4). pp. 238-245. ISSN 0167-8809 doi: 10.1016/j.agee.2011.05.014
- Feola, G. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Towards an improved understanding of farmers' behaviour: the integrative agent-centred (IAC) framework. Ecological Economics, 69 (12). pp. 2323-2333. ISSN 0921-8009 doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2010.07.023
- Binder , C. R., Feola, G. and Steinberger, J. K. (2010) Considering the normative, systemic and procedural dimensions in indicator-based sustainability assessments in agriculture. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 30 (2). pp. 71-81. ISSN 0195-9255 doi: 10.1016/j.eiar.2009.06.002
- Feola, G. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Identifying and investigating pesticide application types to promote a more sustainable pesticide use: the case of smallholders in Boyacá, Colombia. Crop Protection, 29 (6). pp. 612-622. ISSN 0261-2194 doi: 10.1016/j.cropro.2010.01.008
- Feola, G., Schoell, R. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Identifying barriers and opportunities for transitions towards more sustainable agriculture through system analysis: the case of Vereda La Hoya, Colombia. In: 9th European IFSA Symposium: Building sustainable rural futures, 4-7 July 2010, Vienna, Austria, pp. 1873-1883.
- Binder, C. R. and Feola, G. (2010) Normative, systemic and procedural aspects: a review of indicator‐based sustainability assessments in agriculture. In: 9th European IFSA Symposium: Building sustainable rural futures, 4-7 Jul 2010, Vienna, Austria, pp. 801-811.
- Feola, G. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Why don’t pesticide applicators protect themselves? Exploring the use of personal protective equipment among Colombian smallholders. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 16 (1). pp. 11-23. ISSN 1077-3525
- BSc Sociology (Milan-Bicocca), MSc Environmental Economics and Management (Milan Bocconi), PhD Geography (Zurich)