Staff Profile:Dr Giuseppe Feola
- Dr Giuseppe Feola
- Job Title:
- Lecturer in Environment & Development
- Programme Director MSc by Research in Human Geography
- Erasmus and Study Abroad coordinator
- Library Representative for Geography and Environmental Science
- Areas of Interest:
Giuseppe is interested in understanding the dynamics of change in coupled human and natural systems and to explore the social and social-ecological change required for a transition towards sustainability. His research is interdisciplinary and combines theoretical advancement and practical application. Giuseppe has got a particular, but not exclusive, interest in the Andean region in Latin America.
His areas of interest include:
- The dynamics of coupled socio-cultural and environmental change
- Grassroots innovations for sustainability
- Understanding the behaviour of social actors in coupled human-environmental systems
- Sustainability assessment
- Research groups / Centres:
Current PhD supervision:
- Dennis Mailu - Resilience and urban ecology in Nairobi Kenya (first supervisor Emily Boyd)
Giuseppe is pleased to discuss potential applications from prospective PhD students in his areas of interest.
Giuseppe is an environmental social scientist working on issues related to environmental change; sustainable development; resilience, transition and transformation towards sustainability.
He has a Laurea in Sociology (2002) from the University of Milan-Bicocca, a MSc in Environmental Economics and Management (2003) from Bocconi University in Milan, and a PhD in Geography (2010) from the University of Zurich.
He was appointed Lecturer in Environment and Development at the University of Reading in 2011. Before that, he worked as a postdoc at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and at the University of Zurich. He was awarded the CHANS Fellowship in 2012 for his "promising contribution to the field of Coupled Human and Natural Systems" (CHANS). He is a member of the Board of Latin America Programme (LATINAMERIKA) at the Research Council of Norway, and of the Board of the European Farming System Association (IFSA). Giuseppe is a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society with the Institute of British Geographers, a member of the International Society of Ecological Economics, and a reviewer for several journals including Human Ecology, Ecology and Society, World Development, and Environmental Impact Assessment Review.
- The geography of grassroots innovation for sustainability
- Adaptation between resilience and transformation: A Colombian case study
Recently completed research projects
For more information on Giuseppe's research, teaching & publications, please see his Personal Webpage.
YNumber of items: 26.
- Binder, C. R., Garcia-Santos, G., Andreoli, R., Diaz, J., Feola, G., Wittensöldner, M. and Yang, J. (2016) Simulating human and environmental exposure from hand-held knapsack pesticide application: Be-WetSpa-Pest, an integrative, spatially explicit modeling approach. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 64 (20). pp. 3999-4008. ISSN 0021-8561 doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.5b05304
- Feola, G. and Him, M. R. (2016) The diffusion of the Transition Network in four European countries. Environment and Planning A. ISSN 1472-3409 doi: 10.1177/0308518X16630989
- Feola, G. (2015) Societal transformation in response to global environmental change: a review of emerging concepts. Ambio, 44 (5). pp. 376-390. ISSN 1654-7209 doi: 10.1007/s13280-014-0582-z
- Feola, G. and Butt, A. (2015) The diffusion of grassroots innovations for sustainability in Italy and Great Britain: an exploratory spatial data analysis. The Geographical Journal. ISSN 1475-4959 doi: 10.1111/geoj.12153
- Feola, G., Lerner, A. M., Jain, M., Montefrio, M. J. F. and Nicholas, K. A. (2015) Researching farmer behaviour in climate change adaptation and sustainable agriculture: lessons learned from five case studies. Journal of Rural Studies, 39. pp. 74-84. ISSN 0743-0167 doi: 10.1016/j.jrurstud.2015.03.009
- Feola, G. (2015) Drift from the use of handheld knapsack pesticide sprayers in Boyacá (Colombian Andes). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. ISSN 0021-8561 doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.5b03772
- Feola, G. (2014) Narratives of grassroots innovations: a comparison of voluntary simplicity and the transition movement in Italy. International Journal of Innovation and Sustainable Development, 8 (3). pp. 250-269. ISSN 1740-8822 doi: 10.1504/IJISD.2014.066612
- Feola, G., Agudelo Vanegas, L. A. and Contesse Bamon, B. P. (2014) Colombian agriculture under multiple exposures: a review and research agenda. Climate and Development. ISSN 1756-5537 doi: 10.1080/17565529.2014.934776
- Feola, G. and Nunes, R. (2014) Success and failure of grassroots innovations for addressing climate change: the case of the Transition Movement. Global Environmental Change, 24. pp. 232-250. ISSN 0959-3780 doi: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2013.11.011
- Feola, G. (2013) Models of human behaviour in social-ecological systems. In: World Social Science Report 2013. Changing Global Environments. ISSC, UNESCO , pp. 321-325. doi: 10.1787/9789264203419-52-en
- Grasso, M. and Feola, G. (2013) Human security and climate change in the Mediterranean region. In: Redclift, M. R. and Grasso, M. (eds.) Handbook on Climate change and Human Security. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, pp. 254-280. ISBN 9780857939104
- Feola, G. and Nunes, R., (2013) Failure and success of transition initiatives: a study of the international replication of the transition movement. Research Note. 4. Walker Institute for Climate System Research, University of Reading, Reading.
- Hashemi, S. M., Peshin, R. and Feola, G. (2013) From farmers’ perspective : pesticide use and pest control. In: Pimentel, D. and Peshin, R. (eds.) ntegrated pest management : pesticide problems. Springer, Dordrecht, pp. 409-432. ISBN 9789400777965
- Binder, C. R. and Feola, G. (2013) Normative, systemic and procedural aspects: a review of indicator-based sustainability assessments in agriculture. In: Marta-Costa, A. A. and Silva, E. (eds.) Methods and procedures for building sustainable farming systems. Springer, pp. 33-46. ISBN 9789400750029 doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-5003-6_4
- Henry, D. and Feola, G. (2013) Pesticide-handling practices of smallholder coffee farmers in Eastern Jamaica. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics, 114 (1). pp. 59-67. ISSN 1612-9830
- Feola, G. (2013) What (science for) adaptation to climate change in Colombian agriculture? A commentary on “A way forward on adaptation to climate change in Colombian agriculture: perspectives towards 2050” by J. Ramirez-Villegas, M. Salazar, A. Jarvis, C. E. Navarro-Valcines. Climatic Change, 119 (3-4). pp. 565-574. ISSN 1573-1480 doi: 10.1007/s10584-013-0731-6
- Feola, G., Gallati, J. A. and Binder, C. R. (2012) Exploring behavioural change through an agent-oriented system dynamics model: the use of personal protective equipment among pesticide applicators in Colombia. System Dynamics Review, 28 (1). pp. 69-93. ISSN 1099-1727 doi: 10.1002/sdr.469
- Grasso, M. and Feola, G. (2012) Mediterranean agriculture under climate change: adaptive capacity, adaptation, and ethics. Regional Environmental Change, 12 (3). pp. 607-618. ISSN 1436-378X doi: 10.1007/s10113-011-0274-1
- Feola, G., Sattler, C. and Saysel, A. K. (2012) Simulation models in farming systems research : potential and challenges. In: Farming systems research into the 21st century : the new dynamic. Springer, pp. 281-306. ISBN 9789400745025 doi: 10.1007/978-94-007-4503-2_13
- Feola, G., Rahn, E. and Binder, C.R. (2011) Suitability of pesticide risk indicators for less developed countries: a comparison. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 142 (3-4). pp. 238-245. ISSN 0167-8809 doi: 10.1016/j.agee.2011.05.014
- Feola, G. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Towards an improved understanding of farmers' behaviour: the integrative agent-centred (IAC) framework. Ecological Economics, 69 (12). pp. 2323-2333. ISSN 0921-8009 doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2010.07.023
- Binder , C. R., Feola, G. and Steinberger, J. K. (2010) Considering the normative, systemic and procedural dimensions in indicator-based sustainability assessments in agriculture. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 30 (2). pp. 71-81. ISSN 0195-9255 doi: 10.1016/j.eiar.2009.06.002
- Feola, G. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Identifying and investigating pesticide application types to promote a more sustainable pesticide use: the case of smallholders in Boyacá, Colombia. Crop Protection, 29 (6). pp. 612-622. ISSN 0261-2194 doi: 10.1016/j.cropro.2010.01.008
- Feola, G., Schoell, R. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Identifying barriers and opportunities for transitions towards more sustainable agriculture through system analysis: the case of Vereda La Hoya, Colombia. In: 9th European IFSA Symposium: Building sustainable rural futures, 4-7 July 2010, Vienna, Austria, pp. 1873-1883.
- Binder, C. R. and Feola, G. (2010) Normative, systemic and procedural aspects: a review of indicator‐based sustainability assessments in agriculture. In: 9th European IFSA Symposium: Building sustainable rural futures, 4-7 Jul 2010, Vienna, Austria, pp. 801-811.
- Feola, G. and Binder, C. R. (2010) Why don’t pesticide applicators protect themselves? Exploring the use of personal protective equipment among Colombian smallholders. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 16 (1). pp. 11-23. ISSN 1077-3525
- BSc Sociology (Milan-Bicocca), MSc Environmental Economics and Management (Milan Bocconi), PhD Geography (Zurich)