Staff Profile:Professor Anne Verhoef
- Professor Anne Verhoef
- Job Title:
- Professor of Micrometeorology
- Postgraduate (PhD) Director for Environmental Science
- Undergraduate teaching: Introduction to Physics of the Environment,
Transport Processes in the Environment
- Masters teaching: Soils, Waste and Environmental Management.
- Areas of Interest:
Anne's major interest is the exchange of heat, water vapour, CO2 and momentum between soil, vegetation and atmosphere. Detailed micrometeorological, soil physical, plant physiological and remote sensing data are combined with land surface models (LSMs). Currently, specific interests comprise:
- The determination of soil thermal properties and soil heat flux from remote sensing data;
- Improving land surface model descriptions of the control of soil water stress on canopy exchange processes
- Wireless underground sensor networks;
- The effect of the hydrothermal and nutrient regime on the vegetation functioning of a floodplain meadow (Floodplain Underground SEnsors - FUSE)
- The interaction between the environment and horizontal ground source heat pumps (GROMIT project)
Interaction between soil moisture conditions and the occurrence of heat waves over Europe (SWELTER-21)
The sustainability of biofuel cultivation in Ghana (ESPA Integrated carbon, water and land management for poverty alleviation (ICWALPA) project)
Anne welcomes enquiries from potential PhD students in the study of the following topics: Soil physics, land surface processes, hydrometeorology, micrometeorology, remote sensing.
- Research groups / Centres:
- Earth System Science Research Group
- Soil Research Centre
- Walker Institute
- Land surface Processes Group
Anne completed a combined BSc/MSc in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (1990; MSc Theses in Soil Physics, Micrometeorology and Hydrology) and a PhD (1995) in Micrometeorology at Wageningen University (The Netherlands). She then held an EC-funded Post-doctoral position at the Institute of Hydrology (Wallingford, UK, now CEH-Wallingford), working on physiologically-based models of vegetation dynamics for improved description of land surface-atmosphere interactions in climate models. She joined the Department as a Lecturer in Environmental Physics in 1999. She has over 20 years of experience with land surface modelling (most recently JULES and SCOPE model), as well as with soil physical, hydrometeorological and plant-physiological measurement methods. Experimental field-sites included a rainfed vineyard in Central Spain (EFEDA), a savannah in Niger (HAPEX-Sahel), an olive grove in Southern Spain, and agricultural fields (Sonning campaign & GROMIT project) and a floodplain meadow (FUSE Project) in the UK. Her research is predominantly funded by NERC (GROMIT, FUSE, SWELTER-21 and ICWALPA projects, 3 further projects previously).
Anne is a member of the NERC Peer Review College. She is Associate Editor for Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. She is Chair of the British Soil Physics Group and a member of the IHPWG (Improving Hydrological Predictions Working Group), led by the UK Met Office.
YNumber of items: 26.
- Van Den Hoof, C., Vidale, P. L., Verhoef, A. and Vincke, C. (2013) Improved evaporative flux partitioning and carbon flux in the land surface model JULES: impact on the simulation of land surface processes in temperate Europe. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 181. pp. 108-124. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2013.07.011 (In Press)
- Boon, A., Robinson, J.S., Nightingale, P.D., Cardenas, L., Chadwick, D.R. and Verhoef, A. (2013) Determination of the gas diffusion coefficient of a peat grassland soil. European Journal of Soil Science, 64 (5). pp. 681-687. ISSN 1351-0754 doi: 10.1111/ejss.12056
- Chong, C. S. A., Gan, G., Verhoef, A. and Gonzalez Garcia, R. G. (2013) Comparing the thermal performance of horizontal slinky-loop and vertical slinky-loop heat exchangers. International Journal of Low-Carbon Technology. ISSN 1748-1325 doi: 10.1093/ijlct/ctt001
- Chong, C.S.A., Gan, G., Verhoef, A., Gonzalez Garcia, R. and Vidale, P. L. (2013) Simulation of thermal performance of horizontal slinky-loop heat exchangers for ground source heat pumps. Applied Energy, 104. pp. 603-610. ISSN 0306-2619 doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.11.069
- Evans, J. G., McNeil, D., Finch, J. W., Murray, T., Harding, R. J. and Verhoef, A. (2012) Determination of turbulent heat fluxes using a large aperture scintillometer over undulating mixed agricultural terrain. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 166-167. pp. 221-233. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2012.07.010
- Garcia Gonzalez, R., Verhoef, A., Vidale, P. L., Main, B., Gan, G. and Wu, Y. (2012) Interactions between the physical soil environment and a horizontal ground coupled heat pump, for a domestic site in the UK. Renewable Energy, 44. pp. 141-153. ISSN 0960-1481 doi: 10.1016/j.renene.2012.01.080
- Garcia Gonzalez, R., Verhoef, A., Vidale, P. L. and Braud, I. (2012) Incorporation of water vapour transfer in the JULES Land Surface Model: implications for key soil variables and land surface fluxes. Water Resources Research, 48 (5). W05538. ISSN 0043-1397 doi: 10.1029/2011WR011811
- Black, E., Vidale, P. L., Verhoef, A., Vianna Cuadra, S., Osborne, T. and Van Den Hoof, C. (2012) Cultivating C4 crops in a changing climate: sugarcane in Ghana. Environmental Research Letters, 7 (4). 044027. ISSN 1748-9326 doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/7/4/044027
- Gokmen, M. D., Vekerdy, Z., Verhoef, A., Verhoef, W., Batelaan, O. and van der Tol, C. (2012) Integration of soil moisture in SEBS for improving evapotranspiration estimation under water stress conditions. Remote Sensing of Environment, 121. pp. 261-274. ISSN 0034-4257
- Verhoef, A., Ottle, C., Cappelaere, B., Murray, T., Saux-Picart, S., Zribi, M., Maignan, F., Boulain, N., Demarty, J. and Ramier, D. (2012) Spatio-temporal surface soil heat flux estimates from satellite data: results for the AMMA experiment at the Fakara (Niger) supersite. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 154-155. pp. 55-66. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2011.08.003
- Egea, G., Verhoef, A. and Vidale, P. L. (2011) Towards an improved and more flexible representation of water stress in coupled photosynthesis–stomatal conductance models. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 151 (10). pp. 1370-1384. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2011.05.019
- Wu, Y., Gan, G., Garcia Gonzalez, R., Verhoef, A. and Vidale, P. L. (2011) Prediction of the thermal performance of horizontal-coupled ground source heat exchangers. International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies, 6 (4). pp. 261-269. ISSN 1748-1317 doi: 10.1093/ijlct/ctr013
- Wu, Y., Gan, G., Verhoef, A., Vidale, P. L. and Garcia Gonzalez, R. (2010) Experimental measurement and numerical simulation of horizontal-coupled slinky ground source heat exchangers. Applied Thermal Engineering, 30 (16). pp. 2574-2583. ISSN 1359-4311 doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.07.008
- van der Tol, C., Verhoef, W., Timmermans, J., Verhoef, A. and Su, Z. (2009) An integrated model of soil-canopy spectral radiances, photosynthesis, ﬂuorescence, temperature and energy balance. Biogeosciences, 6 (12). pp. 3109-3129. ISSN 1726-4170 doi: 10.5194/bg-6-3109-2009
- van der Tol, C., van der Tol, S., Verhoef, A., Su, B., Timmermans, J., Houldcroft, C. and Gieske, A. (2009) A Bayesian approach to estimate sensible and latent heat over vegetated land surface. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 13 (6). pp. 749-758. ISSN 1027-5606
- Dharssi, I., Vidale, P. L., Verhoef, A., Macpherson, B., Jones, C. and Best, M., (2009) New soil physical properties implemented in the Unified Model at PS18. Forecasting Research Technical Report . 528. Technical Report. UK Met Office, Exeter. pp33.
- Chachar, Q. I., Solangi, A. G. and Verhoef, A. (2008) Influence of sodium chloride on seed germination and seedling root growth of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Pakistan Journal of Botany, 40 (1). pp. 183-197. ISSN 0556-3321
- Fernandez-Galvez, J., Verhoef, A. and Barahona, E. (2007) Estimating soil water fluxes from soil water records obtained using dielectric sensors. Hydrological Processes, 21 (20). pp. 2785-2793. ISSN 0885-6087 doi: 10.1002/hyp.6494
- Murray, T. and Verhoef, A. (2007) Moving towards a more mechanistic approach in the determination of soil heat flux from remote measurements - I. A universal approach to calculate thermal inertia. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 147 (1-2). pp. 80-87. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2007.07.004
- Murray, T. and Verhoef, A. (2007) Moving towards a more mechanistic approach in the determination of soil heat flux from remote measurements - II. Diurnal shape of soil heat flux. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 147 (1-2). pp. 88-97. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2007.06.009
- Verhoef, A., Diaz-Espejo, A., Knight, J. R., Villagarcia, L. and Fernandez, J. E. (2006) Adsorption of water vapor by bare soil in an olive grove in southern Spain. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 7 (5). pp. 1011-1027. ISSN 1525-755X
- Verhoef, A., Fernandez-Galvez, J., Diaz-Espejo, A., Main, B. E. and El-Bishti, M. (2006) The diurnal course of soil moisture as measured by various dielectric sensors: Effects of soil temperature and the implications for evaporation estimates. Journal of Hydrology, 321 (1-4). pp. 147-162. ISSN 0022-1694 doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2005.07.039
- Diaz-Espejo, A. and Verhoef, A. (2005) Effect of heterogeneous soil moisture content on canopy gas exchange. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology a-Molecular & Integrative Physiology, 141 (3). S306-S307. ISSN 1095-6433
- Verhoef, A. and Campbell, C. L. (2005) Evaporation measurement. In: Anderson, M. G. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences. Wiley, Chichester, pp. 589-601.
- Diaz-Espejo, A., Verhoef, A. and Knight, R. (2005) Illustration of micro-scale advection using grid-pattern mini-lysimeters. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 129 (1-2). pp. 39-52. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2004.12.001
- Verhoef, A. (2004) Remote estimation of thermal inertia and soil heat flux for bare soil. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 123 (3-4). pp. 221-236. ISSN 0168-1923 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2003.11.005
Verhoef A., Allen, S.J., (2000). A SVAT scheme describing energy and CO2 fluxes for multi-component vegetation: calibration and test for a Sahelian savannah. Ecological Modelling 127 245-267.
Wallace, J.S. and Verhoef, A. (2000). Interactions in mixed-plant communities: light, water and carbon dioxide. In: Leaf development and canopy growth. Editors: B. Marshall And J. Roberts. Sheffield Biological Science Series, Sheffield Academic Press, pp 204-250.
Verhoef A., Allen, S.J. and Lloyd, C.R. (1999). Seasonal variation of surface energy balance over two Sahelian surfaces. International Journal of Climatology 19 1267-1277.
Verhoef, A., and Allen, S.J. (1998). The relative importance of surface and aerodynamic resistances in a multi-source energy-CO2 model. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 23 459-463.
Jacobs, A.F.G., and Verhoef, A. (1997). Soil evaporation from sparse natural vegetation estimated from Sherwood numbers. Journal of Hydrology 188-189 443-452.
Moncrieff, J.B. Monteny, B. Verhoef, A., Friborg, Th., Elbers, J., Kabat, P., de Bruin, H., Soegaard, H., Jarvis, P.G., and Taupin, J.D. (1997). Spatial and temporal variations in net carbon flux during HAPEX-Sahel. Journal of Hydrology 188-189 563-588.
Verhoef, A., De Bruin, H.A.R. and Van den Hurk, B.J.J.M. (1997). Some practical notes on the parameter kB-1 for sparse canopies. Journal of Applied Meteorology 36 560-572.
Verhoef, A., McNaughton, K.G., and Jacobs, A.F.G. (1997). A parameterization of momentum roughness length and displacement height for a wide range of canopy densities. Hydrology and Earth Systems Sciences 1 81-91.
Verhoef A. (1997). The effect of temperature differences between porometer head and leaf surface on stomatal conductance measurements. Plant, Cell & Environment 20 641-646.