Staff Profile:Alison Butler
- Ms Alison Butler
- Job Title:
- Associate Professor
- Department Director of Postgraduate Research
- Library Representative
Co-Investigator on AHRC/FAPESP-funded project IntermIdia: Towards an Intermedial History of Brazilian Cinema (2016-19)
- Areas of Interest:
My research interests are in two fields: women's cinema and artists' film and video. My research on women's cinema is concerned with the relationships between feminist theory and the practices and aesthetics of women filmmakers, conceptualized as a 'minor cinema' in the Deleuzian sense of the term, as an inflection of dominant forms. My interests in artists' film and video include the aesthetics of multi-screen installation, the meanings and functions of projected public art and ways of thinking about cinematic time and space, especially when these are transposed into non-theatrical locations. I am an editor of the journal Screen.
I welcome enquiries from prospective postgraduate students on any topic relating to alternative and artists' film, theories of cinematic time and space, and women's cinema. Current and recent supervisions include the films of Greek director Olga Malea and a practice as research exploration of oneiric cinema.
- Research groups / Centres:
YNumber of items: 11.
- Butler, A. (2013) Spiral jetty, thirty seven years later: the cinematic time of James Benning. MIRAJ: Moving Image Review & Art Journal, 2 (2). pp. 174-186. ISSN 2045-6298 doi: 10.1386/miraj.2.2.174_1
- Butler, A. (2012) Eija-Liisa Ahtila's Cinematic Worlds. In: Eija-Liisa Ahtila: Parallel Worlds. Steidl/Moderna Museet/Kiasma, Gottingen, pp. 173-189.
- Butler, A. (2011) Sleepwalking from New York to Miami. In: Penz, F. and Lu, A. (eds.) Urban Cinematics: Understanding Urban Phenomena Through the Moving Image. Intellect, Bristol, pp. 183-195. ISBN 9781841504285
- Butler, A. (2010) Must this be the place? In: De Weck, Z. A. (ed.) Eija-Liisa Ahtila: where is where? Walther Konig, Koln, Germany, pp. 88-92. ISBN 9783865607591
- Butler, A. (2010) A deictic turn: space and location in contemporary gallery film and video installation. Screen, 51 (4). pp. 305-323. ISSN 1460-2474 doi: 10.1093/screen/hjq031
- Butler, A. (2010) Éloge de l'amour (2001): moments in time. In: Brown, T. and Walters, J. (eds.) Film moments: criticism, history, theory. British Film Institute and Palgrave, London, UK, pp. 130-134. ISBN 9781844573363
- Butler, A. (2008) Feminist perspectives in film studies. In: Donald , J. and Renov , M. (eds.) The Sage Handbook of Film Studies. Sage , London, pp. 391-407. ISBN 9780761943266
- Butler, A. (2007) 'Motor-driven metaphysics': movement, time and action in the films of Maya Deren. Screen, 48 (1). pp. 1-23. ISSN 1460-2474 doi: 10.1093/screen/hjm001
- Butler, A. (2006) Gender. In: Grant, B. K. (ed.) Schirmer Encyclopedia of Film. Schirmer/Gale, New York. ISBN 9780028657912
- Introduction to film and theatre
- Alternative forms in film and theatre
- Film analysis (MA by Research in Film Studies)
- Dissertation/Independent project supervision (BA and MA)
- Editor of Screen.
- Member of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS).
- Member of the Executive Committee of CFAC - Centre for Film Aesthetics and Cultures