Food Law News - UK - 1997
26 March 1997: NOVEL FOODS - Proposed Novel Foods and Novel Food Ingredients Regulations
Scottish Office Letter, 26 March 1997
Proposed Novel Foods and Novel Food Ingredients Regulations
Following the formal adoption of the EC Regulation on novel foods and novel food ingredients on the 27 January 1997, draft UK Regulations have now been issued for consultation. Since the EC measure is directly applicable (i.e. it will enter into force in the UK automatically on the 15 May), the proposed UK Regulations are short and:
- designate the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food as the food assessment body to which requests for approval should be submitted (MAFF will then act jointly with the Secretary of State for Health);
- provide enforcement powers for UK food authorities.
There is also another proposed Regulation which provides for the charging of a fee for the assessment as follows:
- £6,500 for a request relating to any application involving a genetically modified organism for which an environmental risk assessment is required
- £4,000 for a request relating to any other application
- £1,725 for an opinion as to substantial equivalence
Included with the consultation letter are the Scientific Committee for Foods Opinions on the assessment of novel foods and indicates:
The Commission has asked Member States to submit any comments on these Guidelines by the middle of April, comments are therefore requested by the 7 April.
- the information necessary to support applications
- the presentation of information necessary to support applications
- the preparation of the initial assessment reports on applications
It is indicated that there will be a consultation on guidance notes to the Regulations which are currently being prepared.
For EU News item on this topic see EU News dated 16 January 1997.
To go to current UK Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.