Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 1999
23-26 November 1999: COMMITTEE - Asia (12th Session)
Codex Regional Coordinating Committee for Asia
12th Session, Chiang Mai, 23-26 November 1999
- agreed to submit the Proposed Draft Standard for Aqueous Coconut Products for preliminary adoption by the Executive Committee of the Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- agreed to report to the Executive Committee that three worldwide standards should be elaborated to cover evaporated filled milk, sweetened condensed filled milk and filled milk powder;
- agreed to propose to the Executive Committee that the work on the elaboration of a code of hygienic practice for aqueous coconut products should be discontinued as it was felt that the hygienic aspects of these products were well covered by the exiting Codex recommendations, such as General Principles of Food Hygiene, and the Code of Hygienic Practice for Low-Acid and Acidified Low-Acid Canned Foods;
- agreed to propose to the Executive Committee that a standard should be elaborated for instant noodles to cover instant wheat noodles and instant rice noodles prepared using pregelatinization and dehydration processes;
- received reports on food control and safety and related areas, including participation of consumers in standard setting activities, from a number of participating countries as well as FAO and WHO and expressed its appreciation to FAO and WHO for providing substantial support to the Region;
- made a number of recommendations to the Member countries in the Region, Codex Alimentarius Commission and FAO and WHO to improve food quality and safety in the Region and to promote active participation of Member countries in discussions within Codex and involvement of consumers in standard setting activities at the national and international levels; and
- nominated Malaysia for appointment by the Codex Alimentarius Commission at its 24th Session as the Codex Coordinator for Asia.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.