Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 1998
20 - 25 April 1998: COMMITTEE - Pesticide Residues (30th Session)
Summary Meeting Report
Codex Committee on Pesticide Residues
30th Session, The Hague, The Netherlands, 20 - 25 April 1998.
- recommended 56 MRLs for pesticides in or on specific food commodities for final adoption and identified 16 existing Codex MRLs for revocation by the 23rd Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- proposed 54 MRLs for preliminary adoption by the 45th Executive Committee of the Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- recommended the Methods of Sampling for the Determination of Compliance with MRLs for Pesticide Residues for final adoption by the 23rd Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- agreed on the priority list of pesticides to be evaluated by the JMPR;
- agreed to continue discussion on how extraneous maximum residue limits should be set;
- generally supported the recommendations of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation of Risk Management and Food Safety and noted that the Committee had been in a process of implementing risk analysis in its work and that it would continue this practice in the area of acute exposure as well as chronic exposure;
- requested clarification on the scope of the Code of Practice for Good Animal Feeding and proposed an amendment in Section 3;
- received a report on general considerations by the 1997 JMPR which may have implications to the work of the Committee;
- agreed on several recommendations to facilitate setting MRLs for commodities of importance to developing countries.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.