Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 1998
14-17 September 1998: COMMITTEE - Rediues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods (11th Session)
Summary Meeting Report
Codex Committee on Rediues of Veterinary Drugs in Foods
11th Session, Washington D.C., 14-17 September 1998
- Confirmed its previously recommended MRLs for bovine somatotropin for adoption by the CAC, with the understanding that this decision would be subject to the review of the final report and toxicological monographs of JECFA and the outcome of the discussion of other legitimate factors relevant to bovine somatotropin by the Codex Committee on General Principles. Several delegations objected to this decision.
- Recommended 180 MRLs for 16 substances in various species/tissues, for adoption by the CAC;
- Proposed 54 MRLs for 7 substances in various species/tissues, for consideration by the CAC as draft MRLs;
- Agreed to consider further the non-human use of antimicrobials at its next session on the basis of activities of other international organizations;
- Agreed to circulate a discussion paper on risk analysis as related to the evaluation of veterinary drug residues for additional comment and consideration at its next session;
- Referred discussions and suggestions on the draft Codex Code of Practice on Good Animal Feeding to the CAC for consideration;
- Agreed to further consider criteria for the establishment of routine methods for monitoring residues and the identification of appropriate methods at its next session;
- Agreed to consider guidelines on residue monitoring programmes for milk and milk products at its next session;
- Agreed to consider guidelines on residues at injection sites at its next session; and
- Established a new priority list for the expert evaluation of residues for veterinary drugs through the year 2001.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.