Food Law News - FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex - 1997
16-19 December 1997: COMMITTEE - Asia (11th Session)
Summary Meeting Report
Codex Coordinating Committee for Asia
Eleventh Session, Chiang Rai, Thailand, 16-19 December 1997.
- agreed to submit Draft Guidelines for Codex Contact Points and National Codex Committees in the Region for adoption by the Codex Alimentarius Commission as a final text;
- agreed to submit the Proposed Draft Standards for Pickles and Kimchi for preliminary adoption (Step 5) by the Executive Committee of the Codex Alimentarius Commission;
- agreed to revise the Proposed Draft Standard for Aqueous Coconut Products for circulation for government comments and to integrate the Proposed Draft Standard for Chutney and the Proposed Draft Revised Standard for Mango Chutney into one standard;
- decided to seek further opinions of Member countries on the need for a code of hygienic practice for aqueous coconut products;
- received reports on food control and safety and related areas from a number of participating countries as well as FAO and WHO and expressed its appreciation to FAO and WHO for providing substantial support to the Region;
- recommended that the maximum permitted level of sulphur dioxide in plantation or mill white sugar should be maintained at 70 mg/kg; and
- nominated Ms. Kanya Sinsakul of Thailand for appointment by the Codex Alimentarius Commission at its 23rd Session as the Codex Coordinator for Asia.
To go to current FAO/WHO/WTO/Codex Food Law News page, click here.
To go to main Food Law Index page, click here.