Dr David Jukes, The University of
| ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
Food Law News - FAO / WHO / WTO / Codex - 2015
Codex Meeting Report, 23 - 27 November 2015
CODEX – Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (37th Session)
The full report is available at: Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (37th Session)
The Thirty-seventh Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU37) reached the following conclusions:
Matters for action by CAC39
Draft Standards for adoption at Step 5/8 of the Procedure
- Proposed Draft Additional or Revised Nutrient Reference Values for Labelling Purposes in the Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling (CAC/GL 2-1985): NRV-R for Copper, Iron (dietary description and footnote), Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vitamin E and Vitamin A (dietary equivalents and conversion factors), at Step 5/8 (para. 52a) and Appendix II, Part I).
Other texts for adoption
- Amendments to the Annex to CAC/GL 2-1985 (para. 52a and Appendix II, Part II).
- Amendments to Section 10, Methods of analysis in the Standard for Infant Formula and Formulas for Special Medical Purposes Intended for Infants (CODEX STAN 72-1981) (para. 96 and Appendix V, Part II).
Approval for New work
- Guideline for Ready to Use Therapeutic Food” (RUTF) (paras 87-88 and Appendix IV).
Other matters of Interest to CAC39
- Removed the ML for lead in the section on contaminants of CODEX STAN 72-1981 and aligned the section with a reference to the General Standard for Contaminants and Toxins in Food and Feed (CODEX STAN 193-1995) (para. 8).
- Agreed to make available the recorded details of all NRVs-R as an information document (para. 45 and Appendix VI);
- Returned the draft NRV-R for Vitamin D; and the dietary equivalents and conversion factor for Vitamin E to Step 3 (para. 52 b and Appendix II, Part III);
- Agreed to continue work on the revision of the Standard for Follow-up formula (CODEX STAN 156-1987), retaining the definitions in section 2.1.2 and 2.2 and the essential composition and optional ingredients at Step 4, while returning the remainder of the text to Steps 2/3 (para. 61 and Appendix III, Parts I and II);
- Returned the Proposed Draft Definition for Biofortification to Step 2/3 (para. 71);
- Returned the proposed draft NRV-NCD for EPA and DHA long chain omega-3 fatty acids to Step 2/3 (para. 80); and
- Agreed to defer discussion on claims for “Free” of Trans Fatty Acids to the next session (paras 9 and 89).
Matters referred to other Committees
Committee on Methods of Analysis and Sampling
- requested confirmation from CCMAS on whether the results of the two methods (R5 and G12) are fully comparable for all products covered by CODEX STAN 118-1979 (para. 10);
- requested advice on the accuracy and appropriateness of 5.71 as the nitrogen factor for soy protein isolates used in formula for infants and young children (para. 57b); and
- submitted the methods for nutrients in infant formula for technical review, typing, endorsement and inclusion in CODEX STAN 234-1999 (para. 96 and Appendix V, Part I).
Committee on Food Additives
The Committee provided information to CCFA on the technological need for the use of gum Arabic (Acacia gum) (INS 414) in food category 13.1 and carrageenan (INS 407) in food category 13.2. (paras 89 - 90).
The Committee agreed to discontinue the “wish list” of food additives and to consider alignment of the food additives provisions in the different standards under its responsibility with the GSFA (paras 91-92).
To go to main Foodlaw-Reading
Index page, click here.